Aortic regurgitation and sex life

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hello, I am writing this post because of my cousin. He is 29 years old and at age 19 he discovered by chance to have a bicuspid aortic valve. In recent months it has gone from a mild to moderately severe aortic regurgitation (probably due to excessive efforts he has made in this period). My question is the following: He told me that he had had several episodes of loss of erection during intercourse or still had an erection but with difficulty. Is it possible that this is connected with the degree of aortic insufficiency which worsened in a few months? Maybe due to a blood factor (sorry for my ignorance on the subject) What knew for him is that these sexual problems appeared much earlier. Any suggestions concerning the topic is appreciated. I wish I could help him but I do not know how. He does not often speak about it , and when he does it is only for a few minutes. I imagine it must be difficult for him. Another thing that I can tell you is that a few years after having been found to have bicuspid aortic valve (when he was 22 years old ) during a visit he was told he would have to undergo emergency surgery or still within a few years the operation would be inevitable . Then he was at rested for some time , and apparently the situation had stabilized but now is found to have a severe to moderate aortic regurgitation. Can this situation only get worse or maybe he will get better from this aortic regurgitation? I hope I didn't ask too many questions but I really would help him for both his sexual issues and for what he's going through in general. Thank you.

Never heard of regurgitation getting better, stays the same or gets worse. Docs have a set of criteria that indicates when to operate. The rate of degeneration is unpredictable. He could be waiting for months or many years. You just don't know. You can help by encouraging him to go for all his followup tests and visits and to follow up on his doc's advice. If you wait too long for surgery you can do damage to the heart that is not fixable. You may be able to help him emotionally to take things one day at a time, or refer him here.

I don't know anything about the erectile dysfunction issue but if it were me I'd go ask a regular doc about it. I know I have a tendency to think everything that goes wrong with me is "because of MY HEART!" When this is often not the case and should just be treated. But obviously let the doc know about the heart condition as it may impact treatment. I'm glad your cousin can confide in you and that you want to help. I hope this helps you do that.

I had severe aortic regurgitation and didn't have that issue. There could be a lot of potential causes (low t, stress, etc, heart issues could play a part too).

As above, I had severe regurgitation and maintaining erections wasn't one of the issues I had. That's not to say it isn't a possible side effect, of course, but as dornole suggested, perhaps he should speak to a doctor regarding this issuie.

Latest posts

Back