Aortic Anuerysm Repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bythesea

Hello everyone. I write this as I am sitting in a chair next to my hospital bed. Surgery to repair my aneurysm was on Monday 27th. It went well and my amazing surgeon Associate Professor Silvana Marasco was able to repair my aortic valve. She also closed the PFO. A comment from a cardio thoracic registrar who assisted with the surgery was that it went great and that my breastbone was the densest they have ever tried to put wires through - so I need to pay special attention to not load bearing it.

I feel pretty good, the nausea and lethargy seem to be improving and I did a lap of ICU yesterday. I was moved into a private room last night, which made sleep easier.

Pain has been virtually non existent, and am trying to breathe deeply as often as I can, finishing with a cough.

I went to sleep on Monday at about 9am and woke up with the breathing tube in around 5.30pm - although my first clear recollections were once it had been removed.

The cardio thoracic doctor said the chest tubes may come out today and potentially heading home tomorrow. For those who have had OHS how difficult is it to trust the body again?

Welcome to tbe recovery side. It took me some time to gain my confidence back, but once I attended cardiac rehab, I knew I was on the right path. This surgery is to give us our lives back!
One day at a time...

Congrats. I can't say I remember exactly when I was close to full confidence. I remember the first 6 months or so after being conscious of the fact that I had a sternotomy. Personally I feel pretty normal 2 years out but I don't think it's something that'll ever totally leave my mind.

Thank you both for your replies. Yes slowly, slowly
is good advice, the confidence in the body again is what I see most challenging. Cardiac rehabilitation is being organised for me so will definitely attend that - a way to exert in a controlled environment is a positive way to dip the toe back in.

Latest posts

Back