Aortic Aneurysm

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyk

First, I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
It's been a rough 2018! Hospital stays, losing my mom at Thanksgiving time, being out of work for almost a year, self paying my medical insurance because no work, no insurance , draining my retirement savings , and waiting on a 4.7 cm Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm .
I wish I could make my New Years Resolution , Repair the Aneurysm ....
according to the Doctors, the Aneurysm isn't big enough to operate on.
Suffering from severe depression , just want to go back to my job! Yet I can't pick up anything over heavier than a gallon of milk.
Feel like packing some clothes, get my family, and trying my luck in another country !

Hi Jimmy

I hope that it does become a happy new year for you.

Personally I would stop taking bullshit from your Cardiologist and ask W T F is he/she on about not being able to pick up more than a couple of Kg

this is the Surgical Guidelines from Australia & New Zealand, please note the area I underlined and bolded:
[h=2]When do aortic aneurysms require treatment?[/h]
In healthy people the aorta (the main blood vessel that becomes swollen) is usually about 2.0-2.5 cms (20-25mm) in diameter although this can vary with age and whether you are a man or a woman. We know from two large studies in the USA and UK (Lederle FA et al, 2002) that aneurysms less than 5.5 cms (55mm) across can be safely watched as long as they are monitored on a regular basis. For aneurysms less than 4.4 cms across or less, a yearly ultrasound scan is sufficient to monitor aneurysm growth. For aneurysms between 4.5 and 4.9 cms across, a scan every 6 months is advised. An aneurysm greater than 5.0 cms across requires scans every 3 months although there is some variation in recommendations.

When an aneurysm reaches 5.5 cms most surgeons would consider offering surgical intervention.​

the advice you are given is applicable if you have 5.5cm ... not where you are now.

Read the full guideline, print it out and wave it under the nose of this dick head and ask are they trying to ruin you?

http://www.anzsvs.org.au/patient-information/aortic-aneurysm/

Get that job at the local government mate ...

Best Wishes

Thank you for the information Pellicle ! The next cardio appointment is February 4th. I'll have this printed to show him.
Happy New Year!

Happy new year JImmy

Sounds grim but hopefully things will improve

In the UK our NHS gets some criticism but we are very lucky to have it as a free service to everyone.

The advise i was given prior to my aneurysm reaching the required size for surgery was to only avoid
spiking my BP.

The biggest cause is straining/holding your breath.

I was lifting sensible weights at the gym right up to my surgery
i just avoided the Valsalva manoeuvre,

I still avoid it even now.

I'm stuck in my ways but i do believe that doing nothing in terms of exercise is not a good idea as a human even
when we're in the waiting room.

Best wishes

Hi JimmyK,
You have had a rough year and I hope that 2019 is better for you. I can't add to info on your aneurysm, but do agree that exercise (within limits and moderation) is not only good for the heart, but for the head. I modified my exercise routine while in the waiting room, but knew it was important for my mental health to keep it up. I will pray that you get some more answers that work in your favour re: work and insurance. Thinking of you.

Latest posts

Back