Aortic aneurism with bicuspid valve - options in 51 year old

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't make assumptions about peoples choices, I present what the medical evidence finds and they make their own conclusions from there. Further I don't just say "medicine says" I do what academic process demands, I cite the source. Its the basis of how science got us out of the middle ages (dominated by dogmas).

You should try reading and citing and engaging in discussion instead of saying my mum wears army boots.

Science is obviously necessary but there is more to a decision than reading and citing studies or a fear of future surgeries. There is a human element in people's decisions and quality of life issues that have value and weight too.

I'll give you an example:

There is a gentleman on here that once posted that he was lying in bed in the middle of the night trying to fall asleep and listening to his valve ticking away... and wondering if he would "ever know silence again".

To me, that was heartbreaking to read and an enormous loss to quality of life.

I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains in California and sitting in a silent Redwood forest with just a slight breeze blowing through the trees or staring up at the stars in a black sky on a silent night has value.

You, yourself, cross country skied and camped in the middle of nowhere in Finland with your wife. Why did you do that if the remoteness and silence had no value?

My point being that people legitimately make decisions based on more than "science" or "citing studies" alone and they are not wrong when doing so, and that the human element and quality of life issues have legitimate weight and value when making life changing decisions and should not be dismissed as irrelevant or ignorant.

Science and technical knowledge should play an enormous part in making a valve decision but sometimes it's okay to add a human element as well as reading more "science" and "citing more studies" won't give a person more insight into the value of something like "never knowing silence again".

You have a good day Pellicle and I never said that "your mum wears army boots"... but, if she does, I'm sure she looks lovely in them.

Latest posts

Back