Anything new for mitral valves?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marcia Becker

Does anyone know of any new developments for the mitral valve replacement? The mitral valve seems to be the poor stepchild here, all this new stuff for aortic valves. I am beginning to understand why I always attract a gaggle of med students eager to listen in.

I sure would prefer a tissue valve. It makes me very sad to think that I would have to give up horses (we're just buying one!), white water rafting (we have a private permit for next summer-12 years on the waiting list), and skiing (just started again after many years of child-induced poverty, I'm slow-but it's still fun)

I have heard that some of the pericardial aortic valves can last for 20 years!

I am impressed with the number of people here who have been through several surgeries. My hat is off! It gives me hope.

Just because you have to have a mitral replacement. Doesn't mean you have to have a machanial valve. They haven't prefected the use of a homograph. However, and depending on your surgeon. They can use a tissue valve. I'm sure that more will come along who can offer help on this issue. What kind of horse did you buy? I use to have morgan show horses. One day I hope to go back to ridding. First, I have allot of weight to get off. martha

Mitral Valve Replacement?

Mitral Valve Replacement?

Marcia, I am a "mitral", had a mechanical St. Jude placed 9/17/98.
I was 72 when I was operated and I am not sure why they used a mechanical on somebody so old. My surgeon said the staff had a long discussion about it. I think they didn't want to see me back there even older. I've been very happy with the results and havn't restricted any activities because of the Coumadin. However I don't do contact sports. I walk a lot and often spoil the walk with golf. The other day I was in a meeting with some of the heart surgeons discussing post op Coumadin management. Somewhat to my surprise one of the younger heart surgeons (about 40) said if he needed a valve replacement he would have a bio valve and look forward to reoperation in 15 years or so. The newer bio valves apparently are getting better and better. I don't find managing the Coumadin all that big a deal but it is definitely not for everybody. I am sure you will eventually make the best decision for Marcia.

Thanks Martha and Marty.

First, he's a 9 year old Paint gelding. He is a great kid's horse for my two, 9 & 17 yr. olds. He has great blood lines, his sire was a two time world champion (Sacred Indian, he is a Breyer horse model, too). He jumps like his dad, and is a great show horse at the 4-H level. He doesn't have the conformation to do well at more than the regional level Paint shows, though. We have been leasing him for 6 months, and are in love!

Second, 15 years! Wow, I had been thinking that 10 years would be the most I could expect, maybe less because of my age (Is 43 considered a younger patient?) The skiing and horse stuff doesn't worry me as much as the rafting. You do get thrown around a lot in rapids (although you wouldn't know it from seeing video of commercial trips, the passengers have a very important job - high siding, jumping for the high side, or rising tube in rapids. The weight of your body as you "punch" the tube can make the difference between a fun ride and a nasty flip). There are not many things my husband and I value more than our time rafting. We have "rafting" friends that we only see on river trips, now going on almost 20 years. It has also been a way for me to do back country camping, there would be NO way for me to do it otherwise. I think it will be very had to make a decision for a mechanical valve, when the time comes.

Did you have Mitral Stenosis? I have seen some pretty depressing things on various other web sites about MS. Time lines with such stuff as 10 years from Rhematic fever to onset of symptoms - 10 yrs. to replacement of valve - 20 years to death. Are there older MS people out there?

Mitral stenosis vs. regurgitation

Mitral stenosis vs. regurgitation

Marcia, I had mitral regurgitation not stenosis. With regurgitation you can last a long time and go down hill slowly. Stenosis is more serious and you can get into trouble more quickly and at a younger age. If you have decided on a replacement I wouldn't delay very much longer. You are young and healthy otherwise so you will do well. All the best!

You can still ski

You can still ski

I guess I am just catching up on my boards here (better late than never). I have had a mechanical valve for 20yrs now. (mitral). I am on Coumadin and I do anything I want to. I still ski in the White Mountains of NH, I refuse to stop and wonder...what if. Naturally, my cardiologist doesn't have the same feelings that I do, but I will not live in a glass bubble. The only thing you mentioned that I would draw the line at is the rafting. I had a subdural hematoma a few years back, and it would be reckless of me to consider that in light of my history. I am careful when I do anything questionable such as skiing, but I will not stay on the sidelines. By the way I am 46 yrs old. Good luck to you........Gisele

What should I chose?

What should I chose?

I to have mitral valve problems,is your problem caused my RF or a congential malformation,there is alot to deal with when it comes to doing the replacement or just staying stable on medication,also how long , the damage ,and the severity of your compliants.Did I read right ,you are in your 40's you young girl,I do have a really great place that I go to read all the medical stuff
it's at www.acc.org it tells all the info on mitral valve disorders
from a-z.I myself am 45 with rheumatic mitral stenosis,regurgation and CHF and COPD LOL I didn't find out till I was with my last child and a lot of damage was done .I have been on medication
and physical restrictions for over 6yrs now, take a look and let me know what you think I hope it will give you some insight on what questions your looking for and come back the people here are not to be found no where else,they been there and done that,I might read alot ,but letters on paper don't have a heart like the ones here do, there great,they'll help you alot ,

God Bless
jade

I'm getting close to my 4 year anniversary of mitral valve replacement - St. Jude's. I have no restrictions and do plan to go whitewater rafting at Big Bend someday. I've ridden roller coasters, horses, and done a lot of other stuff since the surgery. I seem to get my worst bruises from running into tables, desks, counters, etc.

Back