Anyone want some free Coaguchheck XS strips unopened?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watson524

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi all,

After 35+ years on Coumadin, we've taken mom off it (with approval of her cardiologist). She has been on hospice since May and up until about 2 months ago things were ok with her coumadin with me doing weekly or 2x weekly testing and making small adjustments as needed to dosing (with lab's input). About 2 months ago, she had another downturn and since then, we've not been able to get things under control. In the same week she'll go from 1.6 to 3.9 and even downward dose adjustments or a skipped dose one day wouldn't bring it down. Given her current health conditions and the swings that we can only attribute to not consistent eating (she's sleeping more, swallowing is often hard due to her neurological condition) and likely the start of her liver and other things shutting down, the hospice folks suggested stopping the warfarin since if the INR went too high they can't administer the vitamin K at home etc etc. I fought for several weeks with multiple testing, reviewing her eating habits, minor changes in dosage etc since I didn't want her off the warfarin but then I talked to her cardiologist (who she's been with the entire 35+ years and also knows of her other issues) and he said at this point taking her off was fine and frankly less risky so as of 10/31 we stopped the warfarin treatment.

All that being said, since you folks have all been so helpful on the site with various questions I've had over the years, I was wondering if someone wanted the extra strips. Because I'm a type A personality, I didn't want to take the chance with the 6 / month that came from Roche via medicare so I had 2 packs of 24 I'd been using. I believe I have 4 or 5 unopened cartons of the 6 strip containers for the Coagucheck XS with the chips included. Thought if anyone wasn't testing through insurance and getting strips supplied to them, I may be able to help defray their costs. Roche only said they'd send me a label to send the meter back and just asked me to take the battery out so I assume they don't want their strips back :)

Also, I have a decent amount of the lancets that are the single use "T" shaped blue and white ones (couldn't get a good drop out of mom no matter what we did in the way of warm washcloths, rubber band tourniquet etc so we went to these slightly bigger T things) so if anyone wants them, please let me know.

If you want to PM me that's fine, I figure first come first served :)

thanks!

Agian;n880125 said:
You're a good daughter Watson. Your mother is lucky to have you.
I can empathise, I'm watching dad whither away from Alzheimer's.

Thank you. For someone that was SO independant just a few years ago to being diagnosed with Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (after ruling out parkinson's, ALS, and a host of other things) it's maddening to watch how she struggles. No speech, and muscles have tightened up so much she's almost in a ball with her arms clenched in. It kills me to see it but we do the best we can. She's at home and comfortable and we take each day as it comes.

I'm sorry to hear of your dad's condition. Keep fighting the good fight! We have to be their advocates!

Agian;n880128 said:
Not being able to have a conversation with him cuts me up. He just looks at me blankly, as if I'm a cut out.
Take care darlin'.

You too. Pm if your ever want a sounding board. And keep talking to him tho he doesn't respond. I fully believe they hear and want to be included

Latest posts

Back