Anyone remember valve replacement.com from 10 years ago?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tank

Don't know if this is the right place to forum this but here goes. In 2005 I found a site that at the time was called valvereplacement.com. A gentleman by the Mike I believe started or was very detrimental to starting the site. At the time when I joined I was known by the moniker Bear but after a few months ended up going back to work and leaving site. Well here it is 10 years later and I find this site and it is very helpful as it was in the past. 10 years older and 10 years smarter ( ? ), I've slowed down and decided that after this surgery I believe I will retire as I have to have more low back surgeries once I heal from AVR. Anybody out ther remember Mike or are there some of the people from that site on this site. Just wondering, Thanx, Tank.

This forum used to be known as valvereplacement.com. It changed to valvereplacement.org several years ago. I've been on the forum for about 8-1/2 years and don't recall "Mike". Hank Ehring started the site and is still the manager. Ross Young was very active on the forum back then but left with several other members to form another site. Ross died about two years ago. Glad you found the site again....I stick around 'cause I've learned more about OHS and "living with a valve" from this forum than I learned in my first 40 years after surgery.

dick0236, I'm glad you mentioned Ross because that name too rings a bell. The gentleman back then told me after I had been on the site a few times that I was a walking time bomb as my ascending aorta was 52mm, he stated that his literally blew out at 50mm but was in a good hospital at the time and was able to be saved. That statement stuck with me and was confirmed by the surgeon when he told me after surgery that I wouldn't have made it 2 more weeks. I am very grateful for this site and hope to be around a long time to read the forums and maybe help someone in need as I am right now. P.S. Thank God for spell check. Thanx, Tank

I remember you Bear, posted almost ewveryday. I did also till I had to give up AOL. Then got bills paid up and came back. A lot has changed, people left and moved on keep seeing newbies coming in. Thats it. I had my replacement in 2001, was on before then and was hear for sometime till I had to leave, Glad you are here and helping out. Now I have to remeber your are now Tank. Thanks and hugs for today.

Hello Tank (or should I call you Bear?)!

I do remember the site of 10 years ago. It was a bit wilder back then, with more "family style" chatter going on between members who became long-distance friends. For the time period when you were active, I was the host of "The Waiting Room" because I was certain that I would need my aortic valve replaced, but was not ready for the surgery for some years. I ended up waiting there for almost 10 years, finally having my valve replace in 2011. I'm still here, trying to help where I can, and as Dick said, still learning.

Welcome back. If you have time, stick around. Every one of us "old-timers" who come back to tell that we can in fact get on with our lives after valve surgery is yet another shining star of encouragement for those who are following in our footsteps.

Tank;n857267 said:
Don't know if this is the right place to forum this but here goes. In 2005 I found a site that at the time was called valvereplacement.com. A gentleman by the Mike I believe started or was very detrimental to starting the site. At the time when I joined I was known by the moniker Bear but after a few months ended up going back to work and leaving site. Well here it is 10 years later and I find this site and it is very helpful as it was in the past. 10 years older and 10 years smarter ( ? ), I've slowed down and decided that after this surgery I believe I will retire as I have to have more low back surgeries once I heal from AVR. Anybody out ther remember Mike or are there some of the people from that site on this site. Just wondering, Thanx, Tank.
TankBear,
In line 2, I think you meant "instrumental" not "detrimental", am I correct ?
Anyway, I am a relative newbie - joined in 2011 before my surgery and continue to visit this site, though not as frequently as in 2011-2013. I am not aware of the previous incarnation of this site. Regardless, this site has been an awesome resource for everyone who has been able to benefit from it. Thanks to Hank & co.

enkaynj, you're probably right, heck I'm just an old country boy who never did to good in English. I figured I didn't need to learn it as I was probably never going to England. Anywho, I saw that my old moniker in the past valve replacement was taken so I went with my next favorite. Thanx, Tank

yep, I'm another one of the old-timers here. As Dick said, site was a dot.com, now a dot.org. Hank was the founder and still is the main man.

Welcome back! -- hope you'll stay around.

yep, I'm another one of the old-timers here. As Dick said, site was a dot.com, now a dot.org. Hank was the founder and still is the main man.

Welcome back! -- hope you'll stay around.

I guess I am a young one (ha!) as I have only been a member since 2008....so 7 years and counting! Lots of transition, but still a great site for support!
Nice to see you back and as Bob said, hope you stay around!

I am an old timer who hasn't been around for a while. I was just browsing to see how the site is doing these days. It's really great to see the community is thriving. While I've gotten sort of bored with being a heart patient (living an active and complication-free life!), I periodically refer people to this site. Keep up the good work!

I joined in 2008 before my aortic valve replacement in 2009. Reading the posts of the members on the original site really helped me be more optimistic about the outcome because I expected the worst. I still get compliments from health care workers when I need them (nothing drastic) about my medical knowledge about the surgery, warfarin, INR etc. I learned most of it from the site. It's nice to see some familiar names here!

Hi Tank formerly known as Bear! I've been here since 2004, but my name was Mary. The forum's changed in terms of who is here but the information and support is the same. Glad you rediscovered the place! Hey Bill! Glad to see you too! Mary

Last edited:
I do! This site rocks! My mom had a mitral valve replaced with a tissue in April, 2005. She was very sick, near death. Ten years out she is doing very well! Just had an echo today. They are monitoring her Aortic valve too as it is moderately stenotic-but holding steady from a year ago. SO blessed :)

I do! This site rocks! My mom had a mitral valve replaced with a tissue in April, 2005. She was very sick, near death. Ten years out she is doing very well! Just had an echo today. They are monitoring her Aortic valve too as it is moderately stenotic-but holding steady from a year ago. SO blessed :)

Hi Hank, I do remeber you. I had to leave for a few years due toi credit card debt and got it all taken care of. I am stilling fine, gained some pounds and just turned 51. I used to lurk in and helped others before. I still try to get when I can. Glad to see you back. Hugs for today.

Latest posts

Back