Anyone in here in their mid 40's and what did your surgeon advise on valve type.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
almost_hectic;n857764 said:
Sorry for asking, but why would you go through what it takes to survive surgery now, only to have to do it again when you're in your 60's when your not as strong?

Lots of reasons people choose a tissue valve. Having the surgury a second time is not the only factor in making a decision.

Savymom;n858532 said:
Lots of reasons people choose a tissue valve. Having the surgury a second time is not the only factor in making a decision.

I'm starting to see that now. I guess having been in the waiting room for something like 15 years knowing I'd have surgery. I never had spent much time considering those factors because all my doctors had always only put it to me so simply. They more or less always just said, you're young so you'll get a mechanical valve. I knew tissue valves had gotten greatly advanced in that time but nobody on my team even changed their opinion. So the me its kind of surprising sometimes, especially if someone in their 30s or even 20s chooses a tissue valve even though the only certainty is that it will wear out at some point. I guess I'm not very familiar with those other factors

There are athletes really pushing the envelope with mechanical aortic valves. From a performance angle, it should suffice for most non-athletes.

MethodAir;n858540 said:
There are athletes really pushing the envelope with mechanical aortic valves. From a performance angle, it should suffice for most non-athletes.
agreed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22341653
[h=1]Ten-year comparison of pericardial tissue valves versus mechanical prostheses for aortic valve replacement in patients younger than 60 years of age.[/h] conclusions
Despite similar valve-related event rates in both groups, the better hemodynamic performance of the mechanical valves and/or protective effect of oral anticoagulation seemed to improve the outcome. The transcatheter valve-in-valve intervention as potential treatment of tissue valve degeneration should not be considered the sole bailout strategy for younger patients because no evidence is available that this would improve the outcome.

almost_hectic;n858534 said:
I'm starting to see that now. I guess having been in the waiting room for something like 15 years knowing I'd have surgery. I never had spent much time considering those factors because all my doctors had always only put it to me so simply. They more or less always just said, you're young so you'll get a mechanical valve. I knew tissue valves had gotten greatly advanced in that time but nobody on my team even changed their opinion. So the me its kind of surprising sometimes, especially if someone in their 30s or even 20s chooses a tissue valve even though the only certainty is that it will wear out at some point. I guess I'm not very familiar with those other factors

For me it was because I wanted more kids. I was 25 at the time. I'm 10 years post surgery today, and was able to have another valve. I am not sure if I'll choose a mechanical for my next, tavr is being done at UW (SEATTLE) and I'm hoping my valve last me until its either available for me, and most importantly has great function. I dont wsnt to just "survive". I'm very active, I lift weights daily and run. So, if my valve were to fail this year I can't say for certain I'd choose tissue again.

It would appear that the Transcathetar route is on the precipice of finally becoming mainstream. So far TAVR have shown that the hemodynamics of the valve are as good or better than a standard tissue valve. However they are more prone to regurgitation. Still not quite enough information for my own decision but somewhat promising for the future....

http://www.healio.com/cardiac-vascul...oes-mainstream

I was bored last night laying in bed listening to my ticker. So I began to think, how many times do I need this On-X to tick until I'm done. So I began punching numbers into the calculator on my phone. They can vary wildly depending on how you look at it, but basically I'm gonna need this thing to function flawlessly for around 2 or 3 billion heartbeats or more! To me those TAVR valves don't look like they're made solid enough to do that for the duration.

I was 57 years old when I had surgery and my surgeon told me that I was too young for tissue valve. He said that I probably had 20 + years left and mechanical was the only way to go. Now that being said, it will take your body a few months to get used to the warfarin, but when it gets used to it and your inr gets steady you will be good to go on running or whatever you want to do.

Hi all. I'm post op footloose and fancy free. I got out on Monday and I was never so pleased to get back home and get on to the sofa (Rugby World Cup time here in the UK......Go Wales) So I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone who took the time to offer advise relating to my question, it was appreciated. I'm a bit exhausted as I'm sure you are all aware from your own experiences, but very slowly making progress......very slowly. Since having a chat with another member pre op explaining that some people use the forum, have the op and are never heard of again I will stick around and offer what advice I can to anyone about to have a similar procedure as everyone's words in here has been such a comfort.

Thanks you.

Dave

pellicle;n858542 said:

I have to add my views here. During my research prior to op, it seemed that people choosing a tissue valve are definitely in a minority and the reason for the spike in choosing a mech valve related to the anxiety of having another re op in the future which is fair enough. However, my surgeon here in London at Kings College (Dr Deshpande) conveyed to me that the future of this kind of surgery sways more toward better tissue valves and less invasive re-ops (keyhole and TAVI). Given these horizons he felt tissue valves currently offer more options in the future at the point of re-op and if quicker turn around times can be achieved, as so much is driven by costs, then it's in the interests of NHS here in the UK to investigate this further.

I have had a Carpenter Edwards 3300 tissue valve.

David W;n858951 said:
I have had a Carpenter Edwards 3300 tissue valve.
Way to go David ! Same valve as me and many others with CE valves on forum. Make sure you get a little card and register with Edwards Lifesciences - really good customer services/support from them. One of their doctors even phoned me once when I had a particular question.

And great having the Rugby World Cup to watch while you are recuperating !

Been following your story, David and congratulations on getting home! Don't forget the drill....rest, walk, eat, rest...
I, too have a CE valve. :)
May you have a smooth and bump free recovery.

Thanks Ottagal.

Yep recovery seems to be in that order presently and in amongst it all there is plenty of appalling TV. I have a question for everyone who might stumble across this thread.
Sleep!! How was your sleeping post op. I'm just over 2 and a half weeks post op and still not really getting any good sleeping. I have some sleeping candy here but don't want to over indulge in this. Any thoughts?

David W;n859096 said:
Thanks Ottagal.
Sleep!! How was your sleeping post op. I'm just over 2 and a half weeks post op and still not really getting any good sleeping. I have some sleeping candy here but don't want to over indulge in this. Any thoughts?

my sleep was ratshit for quite a while, but the improvements are like watching plants grow. In day by day you don't pick it, but when you look at week by week you see it getting better.

My thoughts now are: when you're able to roll over or sit up without discomfort (largely from your sternum) then your sleep will be better.

Pellicle. Thanks mate for your info. Ratshit kinda hits the nail on the head. I'm better on one side than the other but man I don't think I've had a good nights sleep in the last 18 days, it must take it out of you to some degree. I also look like ratshit so I guess that proves my theory! 😉

After the 2nd night after surgery, i was sleeping well 6+ hours easily. After about 5 1/2 weeks I developed some sort of wide internal pain that wouldn't allow me to lie down on side or back for about 10 days. But before that happened, a dilaudid and a tylenol right before sleep and I was good for about 6 hours of sleep.

Hi
David W;n859101 said:
.... I also look like ratshit so I guess that proves my theory! 😉

nahh, don't be so hard on yourself ... surely that was back in Post Op ICU ... by now you probably look more like something the cat dragged in ;-)

Latest posts

Back