Anyone Had Problems With Hair Loss?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Want to update my previous post,since I don't think that the coumadin
had anything to do with my hair loss. My best guess is 'Telogen's',which
is a hormonal response to extreme stress (like Ross Said) and only lasts
about 6 months. Mine slowed down after about 7 months but I did end up
losing about 1/3 of my hair mass. Its good I had really thick hair;)
I also take beta blockers off and on and find that it can cause minor
hair loss in some. It seems some people are predisposed to this problem
and are more sensitive to certain meds as a result.
Atleast this is my take on it.

The first time I washed my hair after the surgery, I noticed that a lot came off on my comb. After that, I didn't notice that, but even a few months afterwards, my hair seemed thin on the sides. It seems to be back to normal now.

I have a decent sized bald spot on my head that developed shortly after leaving the hospital. It looks pretty funny where its located but hopefully it grows back. If not I'll just get my haircut more frequently.

You can look up telogen effluvium and any good dermatologist will tell you the hair loss that lasts for about 3-4 months starting about 2 months after heart surgery is just that. I too was completely freaked out when my long thick hair starting coming out all over the shower and my stylist noticed it too. I was just starting to feel human again after that second heart surgery and then the hair issue began. It's a normal reaction to the shock to the body of the anesthesia and just like pregnancy, your hair shut down for a while to let the other parts of the body use that resouce to heal. It will stop in a few months (for me it took about 3-4) and then grow back just about normal thickness. Be not afraid.

just over eight weeks and it ain't right. the bald spot is still there, looks
about the same size in my hand-held 'winnie-the-pooh' pocket mirror.
the rest of the hair is growing really slowly....and there's some white stuff.
never had white stuff there before, it would drop out first. i'll just say
it looks.....distinguished.

chest hair is finally coming in again, about an inch long or so, also with
more white stuff than before. leg hair and mr. happy fur growing veerrrry
slowly, also not lush and luxurious like before. and for some reason it's still
prickly, sharp points haven't worn off yet.

facial fuzz also growing slower, now only have to shave once a week, unless
i have an 'appointment.'

My hair was thinning already prior to surgery but since Im on Coumadin it has certainly accelerated. Im not happy about it but if thats the only side-effect, I will live with it just fine.

update on hair loss, or loss of loss.

completed my warfarin regimen, and the little bald spot on the back of my head
disappeared within three weeks. the big bald spot on the top, though.......

Warfarin for 17 years and still alot of hair.2nd surgery i did it up in french braid and then cus its so long,nurses took braid out and dropped it into plastic
slide they had over head of bed in icu (can you believe that) they washed it
The nurse said oh we didn't realize your hair is sooooo long.Big chore for nurse
I did drop alot of it from that wash i almost thought id be bald from seeing all that fell out (freaked me out) but with aneisthesic and pain meds it likely is gonna fall out let alone a big surgery.

I cut inches off before surgery and it's grown back since the only tiny bald spot is where i hooked my head in 94 with fish hook:rolleyes: but the warfarin
doesn't seem to effect it at all in 17 years i,ve been taking it.
Maybe it effects us all differently i,m not sure.Or ive just got too much hair anyway:confused:

zipper2 (DEB)

It has all been said before, but my beautiful daughter had to console me when my hair started to come out about 3 months after OHS. She, a very sensitive young woman, has had several major hair loss incidents. They all happened about 3 months after a major stress in her life. For the first several events, she went to the doctor who searched through her remaining hair to look for short hairs hiding out. If the hair is going to re-grow, there are short hairs poking out soon after the previous hairs depart.

I searched my own head for the spiky new hairs and there they were! But, the texture of my overall hair was dull and sad. I guess those hairs still departing were causing the dull look.

Sometimes our kids can mother us!

:):):)

Want to update my previous post,since I don't think that the coumadin
had anything to do with my hair loss. My best guess is 'Telogen's',which
is a hormonal response to extreme stress (like Ross Said) and only lasts
about 6 months. Mine slowed down after about 7 months but I did end up
losing about 1/3 of my hair mass. Its good I had really thick hair;)
I also take beta blockers off and on and find that it can cause minor
hair loss in some. It seems some people are predisposed to this problem
and are more sensitive to certain meds as a result.
Atleast this is my take on it.

I experienced a very similar condition last year following a lot of stress in
a very short amount of time. Thankfully I have thick hair, and it has pretty
much gone back to normal. Following surgery here in June I may experience
it again. Laura

Hair Loss after Surgery

Hair Loss after Surgery

Just an update for the folks dealing with hair loss. after OHS and AAA surgery. I have had total recovery of all my hair and it all played out just as my dermatologist explained with his diagnosis of telogen effluvium. Keep the faith. In my case the hair loss is not from the coumadin. Each of us is different but if I can console one person as others have done for me here, I will feel good.

The phases in hair growth/loss are:

anagen -- active growth
catagen -- cessation of growth
telogen -- resting phase

Various hormones affect hair growth/loss. Women who have gone through pregnancies can attest that their hair grows during pregnancy, then thins out afterwards. (It occurs in all mammals.)

I'm not sure about the dynamics of hair-growth hormones during surgery, stress, etc. I know a Ph.D. geneticist who would probably know; I may see her next weekend and will ask if I do.

Just an update for the folks dealing with hair loss. after OHS and AAA surgery. I have had total recovery of all my hair and it all played out just as my dermatologist explained with his diagnosis of telogen effluvium. Keep the faith. In my case the hair loss is not from the coumadin. Each of us is different but if I can console one person as others have done for me here, I will feel good.

You are helping to console me. About 2 months after surgery in June my
hair started coming out. I have always had thick hair, but every time I wash it the drain is full, hair in the sink and on the floor. Guess this
is starting my 3rd month of hair loss and just hoping it will slow down
soon. I was not loosing hair before surgery and I was on Coumadin then
so do not think coumadin is the problem. Thanks for your encouraging
comments.

Back