Anyone experience occasional palpitations or premature ventricular contractions?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Heaney

Hi all. I had an aortic valve replacement and ascending aortic aneurysm repair in December 2019. I went with an On-X mechanical valve and have been very happy with the choice. This past March I started to notice some occasionally palpitations or missed beats. Normal I would notice it if I woke up at night or lying in bed early in the morning. They lasted on and off for 6 weeks or so and then disappeared. During post-surgery cardiac rehab the nurse noticed an occasional premature ventricular contraction and said these are pretty normal. I am wondering if these palpitations were premature ventricular contractions? Also, they started shortly after I completed a 50 km cross country ski marathon. Anybody have palpitations and/or premature ventricular contractions after strenuous exercise? Thank you. (I do plan on speaking to my cardiologist about this at my next check-up).

I had PVC's, but more frequent PAC's for about 6 months after my surgery (AVR with a Resilia tissue valve and aneurysm repair) in April 2021, but they sort of disappeared overnight. I typically would have 2 PAC's per minute and they felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest! I occasionally still feel a palpitation, but nothing worrisome. I play squash and get my heart rate up to 160 or so, but have no issues while playing or afterwards. Generally, an occasional PVC/PAC is not considered and issue and, in my cardio's words, are not "worrisome." I wore a monitor for a few days which confirmed what was going on. Your cardio will likely order the same for you if there is any concern. A lot a "damage" done to the nerve pathways during AVR so a little "cross" wiring to be expected.

Hi

This past March I started to notice some occasionally palpitations or missed beats.
I think if you search here you'll find that this is commonly discussed (so its not just me saying) so I think its pretty common. Common enough that there is even a page on Mayo clinic talking about it:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...lar-contractions/symptoms-causes/syc-20376757
Occasional premature ventricular contractions in people without heart disease usually aren't a concern and likely don't need treatment. You might need treatment if the premature ventricular contractions are very frequent or bothersome, or if you have an underlying heart condition.

I've had them most of my life. I don't think they are harmful but are perhaps not entirely benign either. I suspect they are an indicator that you'll be more likely to get arrhythmia issues at some stage (I've now got them and I'm somewhere in 59 years of age now. I got mine after I got COVID. I don't know if its correlation or causation.

They lasted on and off for 6 weeks or so and then disappeared.

does this mean that you have continuous PVC's for 6 weeks, or you only experienced the PVC's occasionally for a period of 6 weeks and they went away.

During post-surgery cardiac rehab the nurse noticed an occasional premature ventricular contraction and said these are pretty normal.
I concur

I am wondering if these palpitations were premature ventricular contractions?
they most probably are
Also, they started shortly after I completed a 50 km cross country ski marathon. Anybody have palpitations and/or premature ventricular contractions after strenuous exercise?
I seem to find that, but now that I'm on metoprolol tartrate for my tachycardia I don't get them anymore. But its too early to call as its only just a year now since I started metoprolol.

Best Wishes

I actually have fewer post surgery than I did before. I tend to get them when I'm unwell and very occasionally during strenuous exercise. They're unpleasant but I've also been told that are nothing to worry about.

I did also have a period of about 2 weeks shortly after surgery where I had them constantly. I was given a beta blocker which sorted them out within a day.

Hi

I think if you search here you'll find that this is commonly discussed (so its not just me saying) so I think its pretty common. Common enough that there is even a page on Mayo clinic talking about it:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...lar-contractions/symptoms-causes/syc-20376757
Occasional premature ventricular contractions in people without heart disease usually aren't a concern and likely don't need treatment. You might need treatment if the premature ventricular contractions are very frequent or bothersome, or if you have an underlying heart condition.

I've had them most of my life. I don't think they are harmful but are perhaps not entirely benign either. I suspect they are an indicator that you'll be more likely to get arrhythmia issues at some stage (I've now got them and I'm somewhere in 59 years of age now. I got mine after I got COVID. I don't know if its correlation or causation.

does this mean that you have continuous PVC's for 6 weeks, or you only experienced the PVC's occasionally for a period of 6 weeks and they went away.

I concur

they most probably are

I seem to find that, but now that I'm on metoprolol tartrate for my tachycardia I don't get them anymore. But its too early to call as its only just a year now since I started metoprolol.

Best Wishes
Just to clarify, the PVCs were not continuous. I only experienced them occasionally over a 6-week period.

I’ve had them. For me, 2x 200mg Chelated Magnesium Glycinate (one in the morning and one in the evening) fixed it all. My cardiologist recommended this too. May or may not work for you … ask your Cardiologist and follow his recommendations.

Hi all. I had an aortic valve replacement and ascending aortic aneurysm repair in December 2019. I went with an On-X mechanical valve and have been very happy with the choice. This past March I started to notice some occasionally palpitations or missed beats. Normal I would notice it if I woke up at night or lying in bed early in the morning. They lasted on and off for 6 weeks or so and then disappeared. During post-surgery cardiac rehab the nurse noticed an occasional premature ventricular contraction and said these are pretty normal. I am wondering if these palpitations were premature ventricular contractions? Also, they started shortly after I completed a 50 km cross country ski marathon. Anybody have palpitations and/or premature ventricular contractions after strenuous exercise? Thank you. (I do plan on speaking to my cardiologist about this at my next check-up).
Hi, i had lots of PVCs before my BAV sparing aortic anneurism surgery. The 24 hour monitor registed about 1000 PVCS in 24 hours before my surgery. Now they've mostly gone. Not sure if this was due to the surgery or the metoprolol I'm now on. Anyway, my cardiologist said not to worry about occasional ones. In answer to your question, mine went away upon exercise.

I had my OHS in March of 2021. After surgery while doing cardiac rehab I was having some episodes of PVCs and PACs. Doctor also noticed them on the stress test I had after I completed the rehab. I didn't notice them that often until last fall when I added weights to my workouts. I would feel a missed or extra beat (couldn't tell which) for almost an hour after the workout. I also have had a few episodes of my heart beating really fast but it would pass as quickly as it came on. I wore a Zio patch for two weeks and the doctor found I had supraventricular tachycardia. At this point we are keeping an eye on both of these issues. I hope you get answers.

Also consider your age on the heart palpitations, for when we reach our 40's, men and women do experience heart palpitations. Some are heart related or valve related. And some are valve related. At least you do go to your cardio. So they can monitor the situation.

I had AVR a couple of years ago and go through phases with the damn things too. They may appear and stay around for weeks and then disappear for a while again. They are definitely worse in the evening and at night for me.

I had them a few weeks after the op and I was given a Holter for 24 hrs and during that time, I was sure I was getting thousands but I only had 8. I don't know why the heck it felt like thousands but it really felt like it.

I hate them. Cardiologist said that they are benign and that I'll likely never get rid of them completely unless I go on beta blockers. I'm not at that point yet but I think I'm getting closer to considering it.

I’ve had them. For me, 2x 200mg Chelated Magnesium Glycinate (one in the morning and one in the evening) fixed it all. My cardiologist recommended this too. May or may not work for you … ask your Cardiologist and follow his recommendations.
This worked ne as well. No AVR.. yet. They're thinking Jan 2024. The mag did the trick, none since I started it. Good luck to you on this.

I had a mechanical aortic On-X valve installed and a mitral valve repaired Sep 14th. I had an afib event in early Oct which was caught on a monitor during cardiac rehab class. It didn't affect my performance during class, but it still led me to buy a $200 Kardiamobile 6L EKG monitor. This is slightly bigger than a pack of gum, and it connects to my phone. I tend to check myself several times each day, and it will show a mix of the following: "Normal Sinus Rhythm", "Sinus Rhythm with PVC", and "Sinus Rhythm with Wide QRS". All of these feel normal to me, but if I look at the recording for a "Sinus Rhythm with PVC" I can see the premature ventricular contractions. Taking several readings within a few minutes will often show a mix of "Normal Sinus Rhythm"s and "Sinus Rhythm with PVC"s. My Electrophysiologist cardiologist isn't too worried, but I just completed a 2 week Holter monitor test, so in a few weeks we'll learn more.

My Electrophysiologist cardiologist isn't too worried, but I just completed a 2 week Holter monitor test, so in a few weeks we'll learn more.
sadly it is the case that
  1. after OHS and as a consequence of the stretching of the heart muscle the "insulation" of the wiring gets "gaps in it" and leads to a greater tendency towards arrhythmia
    1702674529517.png
  2. athletes too have higher tendency to arrhythmia (ref)
  3. most people probably have them but are usually unaware because most people are usually unaware of their heart

Reactions: V__
I have had 2 OHS and started having PVC’s after the 2nd one. The electrophysiologist had me wear a heart monitor 2 weeks.,He had me start 500 mg of magnesium and stop any caffeine. They are much better now!

I'm 2 years post AVR and the damn things (PVC's) seem to kick off every evening for me no matter what I do since early Dec. Prior to this, they might raise their ugly head for a few days every few months but this bout are persistent. They are a right PITA for sure. I've tried the Magnesium Taurate but it didn't do anything for me so going to try Magnesium Glycinate now.

I know they are benign (cardiologist is aware of them but said no need for beta blockers) but Christ, they are disconcerting, especially at night.

I'm 2 years post AVR and the damn things (PVC's) seem to kick off every evening for me no matter what I do since early Dec. Prior to this, they might raise their ugly head for a few days every few months but this bout are persistent. They are a right PITA for sure. I've tried the Magnesium Taurate but it didn't do anything for me so going to try Magnesium Glycinate now.

I know they are benign (cardiologist is aware of them but said no need for beta blockers) but Christ, they are disconcerting, especially at night.
I have them and have gone to ER a couple times, scared! I have been assured they are nothing to worry about. One ER doctor Suggested cutting down on caffeine. that HAS helped. I now drink no more than 2 cups of coffee or I drink 1/2 decaffeinated. I, also, keep to no caffeine sodas.

I've tried Magnesium Citrate, Magnesium Taurate and Coenzyme Q10 but none of them worked. I've used Magnesium Glycinate for 1 day and no impact yet but I'll stick with it for a week at least. Not sure if I really expect any of these supplements to work if it's not some kind of deficiency causing mine though. I just don't understand why they start around 9 in the evening like clockwork and continue until 6 or so in the morning. Strange. Changing routines doesn't change the timing. I could go for a 5 km run or not do anything and they'll start around that time. I don't get them while exercising at all.

Be especially careful with Magnesium Citrate - or you may wind up experiencing your PVCs on the toilet. (A Magnesium Citrate solution is what they use in the hospitals for extreme constipation). Magnesium Oxide will also do the same job, but it takes more of it to have that effect.

The predictability and regularity of your PVCs is interesting. Hasn't any medical professional expressed interest in tracking down the causes, and the reason that start and stop times are so predictable?

Latest posts

Back