Anyone ever have a feeling of fullness and heart pressure after eating a normal meal?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fingers crossed that the new ICD will improve your quality of life.
I look forward to your next progress report.
Best Wishes!

'AL'

Lyn, you brought up ascites, and I'm wondering the same for me. Yes I take Torsemide(not furosemide)-it's a loop diuretic-but I'm out 11months now AVR. What I do not get ...at all...??? Is that no one mentions what their BNP numbers are, or if they even know them. I've been in a year-long ...dialogue would be one way to put it regarding this issue... with my Cardiologist, because fluid retention and BNP numbers just do often go together and it's KIND Of important. Finally one Dr. Yesterday said yes, it IS used for CHF but not ALL upper BNP numbers correlate....mine have gone from over 690 in the hospital to 195 today...but that is not under 100 (yet?) and so this is driving me NUTS.
You are in the know so much...could you cast any appreciable light on this subject? As my round tummy agrees with me and moi is not fat at all! Thanks. Michelle

Just an update to my original post. It has now been 17 months since I had the bi-ventricular pacemaker implanted. I had wonderful results at first and did feel a lot better but I have just gradually started going back downhill again and the past year to 6 months haven't been good. I have had a huge decrease in the activity that I can do. Overall the bi-ventricular pacemaker is still the way to go. My heart beats so much smoother and I do feel it has helped tremendously to keep me on an even keel but apparently this mitral valve leakage is getting worse and my heart isn't handling the overload. The ejection fraction might have improved a hair at first but has still been in the 15% range and the way I feel now it could be lower than that.
I'm seeing a surgeon this next week and hopefully mitral valve repair will be on my horizon and I can get it fixed and have this behind me and be on the mend.

I agree with a number of the earlier posters. I would still consider asking your cardiologist about taking a diuretic. Even if you don't show swollen ankles or other obvious symptoms, it doesn't mean that you body isn't hoarding water in unexpected places.

I showed no symptoms of having any excess water in my system. No leg or ankle swelling or noticeable weight gain. I wasn't even asked to wear the special stockings in the hospital after my valve surgery.

However, a year after the surgery, I was having lots of trouble moving after I ate, felt stuffed and inflexible, even after a small amount of food. When trying things to get me off of my beta blocker, my cardiologist tried me on some hydrochlorothyazide, a diuretic. I lost about three pounds over a few days, and felt absolutely wonderful again. It also enabled me to cut my beta blocker dose in half at the time (I've since halved it again for over a month without affecting my BP, and am now trying going without it altogether).

Best wishes,

I am now on Lasix since January of this year and I might add it has made a tremendous improvement. I do still have that feeling but it is usually when I have a couple of extra pounds of fluid. It is hard to stay on an even keel but I do now weigh every day and am very aware of where I stand on the fluid build up and try to keep it down to nothing if possible. Since I haven't had surgery yet I know that one or two pounds of fluid can add a ton of stress on my heart that is only functioning at 15% ejection fraction. It only makes sense.
It makes me mad because I tell friends that I feel bad because I have fluid build up and they say I don't look puffy but I guess it is in my intestines and organs. It's in there because I feel it! Very rarely do I ever have any swelling in my legs or hands but can easily gain 6 lbs. and feel every ounce of it. They just don't understand and I'm not going to waste my breath explaining it to them.
So glad you are weaning yourself off the BP, hope you continue to improve and thanks for the post!

Back