Anyone else develop chronic fatigue due to surgical trauma?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulcw16

It's been 5 years since my AVR. I'm 69 now. I wouldn't say that I have full blown Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but I definitely have a limitation to my stamina and fitness. I was hoping my surgery would be a ticket to renewed fitness vitality, but even though my heart is fine, my body was totally wiped out post-op. I'm a disciplined exerciser, and approach it with tiny increased increments. I seem to have plateaued at very slow walking for an hour, (actual walking for 30 min and sort of milling around for 30 min), then I'm pretty fatigued for most of the rest of the day. I do resistance training on every muscle group (one minute per muscle per day). It's a tough irony to endure, because my lifestyle is less vital now than it was 6 or 7 years ago. The literature documents that CFS can be triggered by surgery.

Hi i cant tell from your bio, but have you had a replacement AV ? Mechanical or tissue ?

Have you had your RBC checked for anaemia ?

Due again this summer, but many times in the first year post-op when I felt the worse. All normal. I have an Edwards tissue valve. There's an exertional threshold that if crossed, leaves me in a fatigue/malaise similar to what CFS folks describe.

ahh I was thinking along the lines of possible hemolytic anaemia if you'd had a mechanical valve.

best of luck, I hope you find a resolution.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back