Anybody using Coag Sense for INR testing?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivekd

I switched my health insurance this year and ended up moving to a new home monitoring company (LinCare). They moved me to Coag Sense. IMHO, Coag Sense is pretty difficult to use (compared to Coagu Check XS). They expect us to use capillary to transfer the blood and then use this capillary to transfer blood to the device.

I keep on getting an error "CLOT TIME TOO SHORT", indicating that there was an air bubble in the blood sample. I end up using 3-4 strips, before getting a good read.

Any body using Coag Sense?
What do u do to avoid air bubble in the sample? I'm following directions and doing it exactly as defined in the video.

Thanks,
--- Vivek

I have just gotten one myself. One thing I have noticed, you have to have a large enough drop before you start drawing blood into the tube, then don't wiggle it either. Also, on the tubes I have, I have to watch that I don't cover the tiny vent hole.

Where do u see tiny vent hole in that tube? I'm using these sample tubes @ https://stat-technologies.com/product/the-coag-sense-sample-transfer-tubes/

I also called their Tech Support line @ 866-903-0890. They think that I may be pushing blood into the device way too fast and causing air bubbles. They are going to ship me different type of sample tubes like one here https://www.healthproductsexpress.c...-Plain-10-L-Without-Closure-Plastic-Tube.html

I will follow their advice and see how it goes on Wednesday. In the mean time, I'm trying to work with my cardiologist to go back to Coagucheck XS.

I will be honest, what I read on the Coag-Sense looks great, but it sure looks like a pain to use compared to the CoagCheck XS. Wen I called a place today they pushed me toward CoagSenese as they say Roche is forcing people intot he subscription model where you don;t own the machine they just keep charging your insurance company as a service.

I will be honest, what I read on the Coag-Sense looks great, but it sure looks like a pain to use compared to the CoagCheck XS. Wen I called a place today they pushed me toward CoagSenese as they say Roche is forcing people intot he subscription model where you don;t own the machine they just keep charging your insurance company as a service.
This is the first time I have seen the demo on Coag-Sense. It looks very complicated and has too many steps. I have had my Coaguchek machine for the past 9 years and I really have faith in it. Hopefully I will not have to change.

Keithl,
Can you tell me where you heard that Roche was starting a subscription policy? It seems like a pretty greedy scenario given the machines seem to be reliable over a long period of time and replacement requirements would be infrequent.
thanks

When I called Wilbrun Medical they said they can;t sell the CoaguCheck XS as Roche will not let them as Roche is pushing it more toward subscription firms. It may be hogwash as I still have to show around, either way I want a meter ASAP as going to the clinic and wasting 90 minutes of my time for them to use a meter vs. draw blood is a waste of my time.

Also most of the websites I have visited show the Coagucheck XS as for sale to medical offices only, not direct to consumer sales.

In the US, you do own your machine, they give the meter to you for free with the first shipment of strips. They charge you only for the strips. From what I've read here, what they have done is to restrict the availability of the strips. Part of this could be do to medical device regulations in the US and the need for the ability to recall strips and/or machines.

I get my CoagCheck XS strips and meter through a provider specified by my insurance company and there is no "subscription." I just order strips when I need them. I won't divulge the supplier because they suck.

I keep my own counsel on my INR and use my cardiologist when I am out of range. I used to report my INR to the cardio, but due to changes in insurance, they started to charge each time I reported my INR whether or not it was in or out of range.

Every place I called today says the meter is a rental that is charged to the insurance company. One place offered to sell me the Coagucheck for $1500 otherwise it needs to go through subscription/insurance.

I plan on doing same, these places are a racket, they charge your insurance to rent you the meter and call your numbers to your Cardiologist, I plan on self monitoring and will call in when. I am out of range. Unfortunately they want me following the process for a while since I am new, but when I go to the Coumadin clinic they basically acknowledge I know what I am doing and just nod in agreement.

If 'knowledge is power', perhaps worth knowing that here in the UK you can buy a CoaguChek INRange (the current model that has replaced the CoaguChek XS) directly from Roche for £299 (about US$400). If I had to buy the test strips, a pot of 24 is £70 (US$93).

And at the risk of boring regular readers, home testing is the UK "Gold standard" of managing warfarin for people like us, and the Roche CoaguChek is the only recommended meter. See http://bit.ly/NICEreport for my amateur summary and link to the National Institute of Clinical Excellence's full 2014 report.

Last edited:
If someone knows where I can buy the Coagucheck XS (here in US) I am in, it I have tried 6 places today and no luck.

Personally I would have no qualms buying a second hand meter. As Pellicle has said in previous posts, all the 'smarts' are in the [single-use] test strips.

If buying the one that is the 'main unit only', you just need to add a finger-pricker and buy some lancets, and you can get small packs (eg qty 6) of the test strips as a first time test if preferred

If someone knows where I can buy the Coagucheck XS (here in US) I am in, it I have tried 6 places today and no luck.
When I turned 65, my doctor recommended me to Coaguchek company in the US and they contacted me and a nurse came to the house and showed me how to use it. It was free, and I roder the supplies on line though the company and my insurance pays for it. I know I am a senior and when I reached Medicare age this all became available to me. I am thinking that you are not a senior, so just ask your doctor how to go about it or go to the website of Coaguchek and ther will be a phone number and maybe they can help.

I have used the CoagCheckXS for two years. It is true they provide a service to report your reading to your Doctor and provide replacement strips routinely. However, my doctor has provided a grid with recommendations for warfarin changes to help you stay in range. My doctor does contact me when I am out of range, but usually I have already adjusted my dosage; he prescribed me 2.5mg tablets for easy adjustments. The chart recommends in 2.5mg increments. Now, the meter is free to use as long as you use the service. The service, the strips and lancets cost far more then going to the hospital(about bobble). I tried to clarify ownership of the meter and Roche told me it was on loan to me while I was using their service. I was trying to own the meter, get my doc to prescribe the strips and report on my own. It’s ridiculous that they would require you to return the meter and destroy it rather then sell it to you at a salvage price. I’m not done trying to keep my meter and get the strips through my doctor. By the way, the testing is not complicated once you have done it a few times. I considered going back to the Coumadin clinics every two weeks, but like another poster mentioned, it’s a time waster and is not a walk-in situation.

Thanks, but both are used. I have found a few on eBay that show new and am contacting seller to confirm.
glad to hear it ... myself I'd buy a used on in a blink, because the smarts is all in the strips (and my 8 year old one is working perfectly despite the amount of miles on it).

Best Wishes

I've been using a Coaguchek XS since about 2011 and the predecessor Coaguchek before that. Since I'm in the UK, the strips are provided as part of our National Health Service, although I had to buy the machine itself.
It's been relatively easy to use, needs a bit more blood than I gather the diabetic testing machines require, but not a huge amount. The strips allow you to either drop blood on top, or hold the finger to the side where less blood is required - capillary action sort of sucks it into the strip.
If you warm the finger in hot water first and apply an elastic band to the base of the finger to have more blood available, it works pretty much every time.
Every year or so I have a venous draw as part of a routine blood test at the quacks - the Coaguchek is always very close.

I've self tested and self dosed since a couple of years after my MVR (2002) and had no major dramas.
Very happy with the machine and it saves me a whole host of hassles (and vein abuse) - particularly on holiday.

Personally I would have no qualms buying a second hand meter. As Pellicle has said in previous posts, all the 'smarts' are in the [single-use] test strips.

If buying the one that is the 'main unit only', you just need to add a finger-pricker and buy some lancets, and you can get small packs (eg qty 6) of the test strips as a first time test if preferred

Well my mother in law's meter was found in her house after her death. It too was provided free by her insurance company who charged for strips. However it was dirty, hadn't been used in 8 years and been exposed to temperature extremes of -20F to 100F. Beware of what you buy used on-line.

Every place I called today says the meter is a rental that is charged to the insurance company. One place offered to sell me the Coagucheck for $1500 otherwise it needs to go through subscription/insurance.

I plan on doing same, these places are a racket, they charge your insurance to rent you the meter and call your numbers to your Cardiologist, I plan on self monitoring and will call in when. I am out of range. Unfortunately they want me following the process for a while since I am new, but when I go to the Coumadin clinic they basically acknowledge I know what I am doing and just nod in agreement.

I did a lot of calling about getting a meter, even talked to Roche directly. In the US, you can only get it readily by prescription through your insurance company. There is no rent for the meter, they won't tell you this though. I learned it from my cardio's nurse. It was confirmed when my Blue Cross switched to a new provider and I got a new meter even though I had one at home. I only learned it was free when I asked why they sent me a new one and what to do with the old one.

Through your insurance company you can get the meter for free and buy your own strips after the first set are gone. Good luck finding a supplier. I stick with insurance though, because the price is the same as in the EU after I meet my yearly deductible...which I always do :(

Latest posts

Back