Anybody taking RTD (Ready to Drink) after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivekd

I'm looking into Ensure Plus or Boost to ramp up my calorie consumption and gain some weight. I've lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks post surgery.
I've tried Ensure plus before and it helps me maintain my calorie requirements and help me gain weight as well.

https://ensure.com/nutrition-products/ensure-plus

Only issue is that it has 25% of vitamin K. I don't plan to take it long-term, but i think it may help me remove weakness, gain energy in the short term.

I plan to take it for next 4 days and verify if it changes my INR on the next checkup on Monday.

1) Has anybody tried it after post surgery?
2) Are there other similar RTD or meal replacement drinks without Vitamin K?

Thanks,
--- Vivek

vivekd;n866292 said:
I'm looking into Ensure Plus or Boost to ramp up my calorie consumption and gain some weight. I've lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks post surgery.
I've tried Ensure plus before and it helps me maintain my calorie requirements and help me gain weight as well.
Only issue is that it has 25% of vitamin K. I don't plan to take it long-term, but i think it may help me remove weakness, gain energy in the short term.

firstly "25% of what"

I seriously doubt that the drink is 25% Vitamin K ... perhaps its 25% of your daily allowance?

that is normally expressed as a "minimum" amount, and there is frequently a range. From a .gov source: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vi...hProfessional/

In adults aged 20 and older, the average daily vitamin K intake from foods is 122 mcg for women and 138 mcg for men. When both foods and supplements are considered, the average daily vitamin K intakeincreases to 164 mcg for women and 182 mcg for men.

so if my supposition is correct (and its a percentage of daily minimum) then basically they're saying it probably contains sweetFall and its advertising jism.

Next I'll say I avoid such "foods" in the same way I'd avoid a hooker in Sierra Leone who was HIV +ve ... its difficult for anyone to take an epidemiological view of the modern "diet" and say "well I can't see any relationship with diabetes". I am a big fan of eating naturally unprocessed foods. Of course I cook them and no I'm not a vegan.

I concur that you may need more protein and carbs in your diet. I am a fan of mashed potato for extra carbs and to up your protein you could add in more fish (Salmon and Tuna) as well as beef and pork.

I for instance like to fry up some mince with some garlic on a pan and then stir that into mashed potato. I shun the packet stuff but there are frozen varieties (such as diced or juliened) that make it fast to cook and mash.

Lastly (as always) I strongly doubt that eating a balanced diet of food (not stuff) will alter your INR significantly. Just recently GymGuy and I were collaborating on a project where he wanted to reduce his INR from 2.6 to under 1.5

He juiced 1Kg of spinach (yes, 2.2 lbs) and drank that in a 24 hour period ... he also had to withhold coumadin for two days to do this.

So while people (without much or indeed any INR measurement evidence to back it up) promulgate that food makes a huge difference it is not my finding (nor many others here).

Bottom line: as always -> measure weekly and adjust your dose carefully and conservatively if you find yourself going out of range.

Last edited:
Thanks pellicle.

You're right. It had 25% of daily allowance of vitamin K.

I've extremely high metabolism. Previously, I've tried to increase my calorie consumption to 5000 calorie to gain weight, but my body can still process it without any weight gain.

It becomes more complicated, since I'm life long vegetarian.

Hi
I added spinach to the above post ... forgot to say what he juiced in my rewrite...

vivekd;n866361 said:
Thanks pellicle.

welcome :)

I've extremely high metabolism. Previously, I've tried to increase my calorie consumption to 5000 calorie to gain weight, but my body can still process it without any weight gain.

It becomes more complicated, since I'm life long vegetarian.
perhaps .. but only with respect to protein. You can add more carbs. I don't wish any photographic answers to this, but depending on your stools it may be that you're not absorbing as much of the carbs and proteins from your food. I've seen some examples (in India for instance) where I believe that digestion efficiency was very low.

Back