Anybody here in Toronto?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aetos

It's been 1 year and few days since my mechanical heart valve. In the Bloor West area. Anyone else here in Toronto?

Many thanks:)
It's been quite a ride and certainly changes your perspective on life that's for sure. Thankfully all is well. To be honest I felt quite better at 6-7 months post op than I do today. Could be due to the weather, I was much more active in the summer, endlessly biking and walking etc. Keep getting somewhat sick during this year, flu, viruses etc.

It's funny I always thought the clicking would get to me, I still hear it and lay thinking each night although it doesn't seem to bother me any longer.

The feeling though is different for me. Each breath and inhale I feel as if a contraption is inside of me lol. Only when I inhale and take a deep breath. What's funny, the only time I don't notice is when I'm active- 5-10 min in to biking or jogging I suddenly stop and take a deep breath and I feel as if nothing has ever happened to me.
Once I slow down and rest, feeling and thump comes back when taking a deep inhale. Strange...I've mentioned to me cardiologist and he says that's a good thing.
INR has been fairly stable, in range 2.2-3.5 up and down but no crazy fluctuations.

Been feeling somewhat lightheaded since Xmas where I feel as if I'm going to faint occasionally. Doc ordered blood tests and all came fine. Did an Eco recently and have a CT scan and my 1 year follow up coming this week with my surgeon.
Still on Bisoprolol/ramipril and baby aspirin every day.
Heart beat at rest 52-60, tend to go 65-78 during evenings. Blood pressure not too bad, certainly lower during the summer active months.

-------------------------------------------------

Aneurysm of aortic root & ascending aorta. Bentall procedure, mechanical valve 27mm carbomedics. Replacement of aortic root + ascending aorta and aortic hemiarch.
Straight in emerg-Jan 2016

Sounds like your healing is progressing quite normally and that your doctor has addressed your concerns. We are all a little on edge with any changes or unfamiliar twinges following surgery. It's normal after what we've been through.

Hope you hook hook up with some folks from your area soon.

aetos - The beta blocker (Bisoprolol) could be causing your light-headedness. Ask your cardio if your dosage could be reduced or if another medication could be substituted. I am taking metoprolol, and have been since surgery almost 6 years ago. I started out at 100 mg/day, and it felt like I was dragging a sled full of rocks around all day. I discussed it with my cardio and we reduced my dosage by half at the 6 month point after surgery. That helped, but wasn't good enough, so at 1 year out we reduced my dose to 1/4 of what it started at. That made a great difference, and my blood pressure remains under control.

Sometimes they give you heavy doses of meds right after surgery but after time you don't need it all. Maybe if you can reduce the dose, things will go back where you want them. Don't do this without the concurrence of your cardio, though.

Appreciate the replys all. I'll check and ask re my dosage with my beta blocker as I'm currently on 7.5mg although I kind of need it to keep my blood pressure in line

Re my breathing/inhaling I described above, anyone else experience such symptoms?

I am in the GTA as well. Got a mechanical valve put in July 12th. When I take a deep breath in I can definitely feel my heart thumping. It's only with a really deep breath. When breathing normally I don't feel it. This has improved over time, and I am on 2.5 mg bisoprolol and baby aspirin.

aetos;n872965 said:
Appreciate the replys all. I'll check and ask re my dosage with my beta blocker as I'm currently on 7.5mg although I kind of need it to keep my blood pressure in line

Re my breathing/inhaling I described above, anyone else experience such symptoms?

Absolutely, on deep inhalation especially if you hold it, it sounds like a freight train in your chest/head
it's perfectly normal.
I'm a competitive cyclist and on a hard climb its very noisy with deep breaths i can feel it.....

The thumping/tickin in your head at bedtime i have grown to like it, it's a very reassuring sound i find.

I agree with the beta blocker comments, i was very dizzy after surgery for months and my bisoprolol was 2.5 per day
yours is much higher.

I convinced my doctors to stop the BB and the issue went away with no negative issues concerning the cessation of the BB

I was told its standard practise to give this BB after AVR so i decided to try to eliminate it as i have a personal issue with medications.

It may be worth a chat with the doctors to find an alternative BB

best of luck with everything

Last edited:
Hi!, i am also in GTA; happy to hear is your aniversary !

BAVR, Nov-2015 TGH, OnX Aortic Valve

Latest posts

Back