anybody have "lightheadedness?"

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joy

I am having my surgery in a few days, and I have had a very heavy chest, and I've been getting lightheaded. I was wondering what I should do? I can't go in to the hospital now, and I only have a week and three days left until my surgery. I have been taking my diuretics, my beta blockers, and drinking water, and eating well, I just sort of feel like passing out. ARGHHH! Well, I better go, My two month old needs me...

Hi Joy

Please take care. At the least put a call into your doctor. It may be nothing more that anxiety.....which is completely normal under the circumstances. There is medication that can help you get through.Not embarrassed to say that I took some Valium a week prior to my surgery so I could cope.

Fully understand your position having a young child and going through this. Was there myself with a two year old that was getting into everything and I still had to keep up. Do you have help, spouse, etc?

Hi Joy...

I think your lightheadedness might be caused my the diurethics you are taking. Diurethics will get rid of the excess fluid, but takes all the minerals as well.
Just a thought!
Hope you'll do well during your surgery. My thoughts are with you during these difficult days. The hardest part is the waiting.
Maybe someone of your family can let us know how you are doing.

Christina
Aortic Stenosis
AVR 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St. Jude's Mechanical
Coumadin, 19 mg per day right now.

Hi Gina, yes, I have a husband, but he's at work. I have a two month old and a two year old. It's fun when I am feeling well. Maybe I will start taking my meds that the doc gave me after I had my youngest son. It helped a lot. I am putting a call in to my cardiologist right now, so I will be able to tell you in a couple minutes. I will probably have to go in tomorrow.

I haven't gotten a call back from them yet...

I just need to take it easy while I am waiting. Vhristina...The diuretics are what causes my lightheadedness, but the problem is...I have to take them or I get fluids backed up in my lungs, and I get pulmonary Edema.

cALL THEM BACK, THEN DO IT AGAIN. Till you get an answer. It is important for you to be ok right now. At least as ok as you can be. Tell them "don't make me come down there" - or at least press upon them how important it is for you to get an answer. God bless.

Hi Joy

Hi Joy

Joy-

Under no circumstances should you stop taking your diuretics, if the cardiologist prescribed them. My husband has had a lengthy battle with Congestive Heart Failure caused by his leaking mitral valve. As he approached surgery, his condition worsened daily. If he had stopped taking the diuretics, I cannot imagine what would have happened. They are what kept him alive until surgery was done. He was on double and quadruple doses of Lasix, plus had to take a powerful diuretic Zaroxolyn every few days.

By the way, he also had to take potassium (K-Dur) to keep his potassium up to normal. You should ask about that. He also had to have blood work done to make sure his kidney function was OK.

Check all this out with your cardiologist. And make sure you get ahold of him/her.

Please let us know how you make out. We'll be waiting to hear.

My husband's surgery stopped most of the fluid buildup. He only has to take a maintenance dosage of Lasix, plus K-Dur. But then he has for most of the 24 years he's had mechanical valves.

Wishing you the best. Surgery is right around the corner.

Hey guys, I heard from my cardiologist, and they said that since I sound like I am dehydrated, I should stop taking my lasix for two days, or until I am up to 105 pounds again. I only weigh103, and I am 5'4. In three days, I went from 111-103, so I need to urinate less, and eat more! Usually I try to stay around 110 pounds, no more, no less. I figure I will go by what Dr. Stewart says. The hard thing about this is...I have to go all the way to Seattle for Dr. Stewart. I live across the puget sound from there. It takes about two hours to get there, depending on traffic, it can take up to three-four hours! Well, I will keep you guys updated. It will probably only take a day off the diuretics to gain the weight back. Take it easy!

Joy

Do they have you taking potassium sumplementaion, usually in liquid with the Lasix? This may be the problem?

Please keep us posted.

Could someone tell me what this "heavy chest" is? My husband is taking lasix, recently having had his dosage doubled. That has helped with the feet/leg swelling most of the time, but he still has the "heavy chest". His doctor, who is usually so good at explaining things, either glossed over it, or we didn't understand. Surgery not scheduled till 10/4. Thanks!

I am not feeling very wonderful today, so I probably won't be online today too much. I just thought i would update you all. I am severely dehydrated, so I need to keep my fluids up. I will go back on the lasix when i get to 105 again, I am up to 104. I will tell you when I feel better. I am going to sleep for a while now. Very tired...

So sorry you are feeling so bad - just keep drinking that fluid to get your hydration back and rest as you need to. We'll always be here when you get back. God bless

I am feeling better today, my headache went away, and I haven't been taking my lasix. It's weird, my heavy chest went away, and now I am just thirsty as all get out. I guess there are side affects to meds! Yesterday, I was dizzy, sick, and nauseated. I am not really nervous for this surgery, but I guess I will be when it gets closer. Although it is only a week away! I am just spending time with family and loved ones right now. Have a great day today guys!

I have dry mouth all the time and it is meds taken, at least for me, tho I am not on lasix I do take bp med and atenolol. My dentist asked about dry mouth and advised me to keep the mouth wet all the time because dry mouth was harmful to teeth. Hadn't heard that one before. I have for a long time always had a glass or bottle of water with me. Even carry it with me when I go out in the car or to the store.

I carry water with me wherever I go during the day, otherwise I get too thirsty, especially here in AZ. Can't drink soda all the time. Gives me GERD...
I am on Coumadin and Zantac (as needed). During the night I always have a jug of water next to my bed as I find myself breathing through the mouth a lot instead of the nose (sinus problems), and get "cotton mouth" as we call it.
Never heard that dry mouth is bad for the teeth Hensylee. New one for me!

Christina

Dry mouth

Dry mouth

Hi Henslyee and Christina

During a routine dental check up for my five year old I brought her swollen gums to the attention of the dentist. He asked if she slept with her mouth open. She does and he is placing the cause for the 'gums' on dry mouth. She has allergies and has a hard time breathing during the night.

Was a first for me too. Don't know about the teeth, but if your gums are not happy tooth concerns may arise I suppose.

Latest posts

Back