Any pilots out there?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrychuck

Hi, everybody; I am new to this site, after having emergency mitral valve replacement (St Jude's mechanical) 4 weeks ago. I'm 53, healthy and active (or I thought I was healthy) with no previous cardiac issues: low-normal blood pressure, always passed my ECG's for flying with no issues, so all of this was a major surprise. Guess it was a surprise to the docs too, since it took 3 days and near-death before an echo revealed my problem was not an overwhelming pneumonia, but rather severe pulmonary edema from major mitral valve regurgitation.

At any rate, I am now recovering from surgery, and thinking about what I will need to do to get my medical back so I can fly again. I know what it will take, and that it will be a challenge, but I think I should be able to get back in the air once I jump through the appropriate hoops. If not, I'll fly with my son (RCAF flight instructor) as my safety pilot for a while, and decide whether or not I want to keep the plane under those restrictions.

My question, though, is whether anyone on the forum has any experience with flying aerobatics after mechanical valve replacement. I have seen some suggestions that mechanical valves do not like to be g-loaded much. I was just starting to learn aeros from my hangar-mate, who flew fighters for years, instructed on jets, and then spent 4 years flying with the Snowbirds aerobatic team. My son is also very anxious to teach me. I have no intention (and never did) of getting into aggressive or competition type aeros; I just want to do the occasional loop and roll, and maybe the odd cloverleaf if I get ambitious. Gentleman's aerobatics, as some would call it. My aircraft is an RV-6A, so it is not suited to really aggressive maneuvers anyway. I have other interests that also involve some g-loading, such as track driving, which involves very aggressive, repetitive lateral acceleration and deceleration forces, and I'm curious as to whether there would be any problem with that as well.

I have already read a great deal on this forum and learned a great deal; obviously a great resource with a lot of great people who have shared this journey. Thanks in advance for any help!

Gerry

Welcome to our forum and glad to hear you're healing and ready to move on. Unfortunately I know nothing about the effects of flying & doing aerobatics on a mechanical valve. Will be interesting in what you find out from others here. There seems to be a lot of knowledge about a variety of topics. Hope they prove helpful for you and you get to do some of the loops or rolls. Good luck.

Hi Gerry, and welcome.

You might check out this thread by member, Buzz Lanning. Since he also received a mechanical valve, he had some extra hoops to jump through in order to pass his medical.
http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?12630-Final-Post-Surgery-Hurdle-FAA-Medical-Recertification!&highlight=

I don't know anything about the aerobatics, but I'd try to get a definitive answer before engaging in any.:smile2: I took lessons many moons ago, and I hated the power stalls we practiced. No maneuvers for me. :tongue2:I did solo but didn't pursue my pilot's license. . . . veered off into skydiving in my late 40's.

Good luck!

Mary

Thanks for the link, Mary. I've had quite a few conversations with pilots in both the US and Canada about requalifying for my medical, as well as having started the process with Transport Canada. I did see one post on here from a guy who said he flew aerobatics for years after his valve replacement with no ill effects; looking for more info in that direction. I figure if g-loading is a problem, I'll skip the loops and stick to the odd roll (basically a 1-1.5 g maneuver when done properly) for my kicks, as well as more focus on formation flying, which my expert buddies are also anxious to teach me. Hard to beat formation training from military instructors and ex-Snowbirds! They might just know something about the subject:)

Thanks again to both of you for the welcome and the info.

Back