Any ideas what elevates the width of the red blood cells volume??!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eva

Miracle Believer
Supporting Member
Two months ago, my CBC labwork showed the width of my red blood cells volume were at the highest normal range. My Sedimentation rate was 36 while it should be 25.

I checked the internet and the causes could be: anemia, cancer, B-12 deficiency, iron deficiency, lupus, etc.

My GP repeated the CBC tests and requested tests for lupus, anemia, B-12 deficiency, Ovarian cancer (CA125), heart failure (BNP), arthritis, etc.
ALL RESULTS are normal...no hemolysis, no anemia, no vitamin deficiency. should I feel :confused2::smile2::biggrin2::frown2:??

What is it?! He asked me not to worry about it since all other tests are normal. But I am worried. what if he is missing on something. How come this never showed up before?! My sedimentation rate dropped to 33. Again, he asked me not to worry...it could be due to a cold, any minor infection, etc. I always have a higher Sed rate than normal!

Does anyone has any knowledge about this?!

Thanks.:smile2:

I suspect you are talking about MCV (mean corpuscular volume). This relates to the size of the red cells. The higher the number, the larger the red cells are on average. Since you were at the "highest normal range", you are NORMAL. No worries. Had you been significantly above the top end of the range, then there might have been more concern. This is called MACROCYTOSIS (large cells). See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrocytosis

Also, the normal range for all lab test results is a statistical number that usually means 95% of NORMAL people will fall in this NORMAL range. That means some 5% of NORMAL people will fall outside the lab tests range for NORMAL. So, even slightly abnormal results often do not mean anything is wrong. Your doctor will probably repeat the test every so often and if increasing or consistently outside the normal range, he could investigate further.

I wouldn't worry too much Eva. My blood is tested once a week and it's all over the place. My MCV is 101 and some of the other results are slightly higher or slightly lower than the "normal" range. It's a range because everyone is different and it can fluxuate. I have a C reative protien level of 17.2 at my last test, it's suppose to be below 5. That's the lowest it's been in 2 years or more, it's up because of the RA inflamation.

Try not to focus too much on the number too much, it's only slightly higher than the AVERAGE NORMAL range and it may well be within YOUR normal range. Too much information can sometimes be a bad thing.

Eva, many of us do have a certain area of our CBC bloodwork that will be slightly out of the "normal" range.
Same issue here, and for now my doctor isn't concerned either. Best wishes for good health. :)

I agree with the others, try not to worry. I have had many SED rate blood tests over the years. My PCP years ago said it's an indicator of inflammation. Are you on any cholesterol meds that may be causing a reaction?? I'm thinking muscle aches or something along that line....If you feel fine overall, and SED is usually high for you, maybe that's the normal for you? I hope you feel better soon..hugs.

I suspect you are talking about MCV (mean corpuscular volume). This relates to the size of the red cells. The higher the number, the larger the red cells are on average. Since you were at the "highest normal range", you are NORMAL. No worries. Had you been significantly above the top end of the range, then there might have been more concern. This is called MACROCYTOSIS (large cells). See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrocytosis

Also, the normal range for all lab test results is a statistical number that usually means 95% of NORMAL people will fall in this NORMAL range. That means some 5% of NORMAL people will fall outside the lab tests range for NORMAL. So, even slightly abnormal results often do not mean anything is wrong. Your doctor will probably repeat the test every so often and if increasing or consistently outside the normal range, he could invesgate further.

Thanks, Bill, for the information :smile2: My MCV and MCH are within the normal range. It is the "Red Cell Distribution Width-Standard Deviation" and the "Red Cell Distribution Width-Coefficient Variation" that are slightly above the top range.

I was a bit scared of starting Hemolysis since it happened to some members here. But luckily, my Nucleated RCB% is 0.0 and I hope it remains so. I will try not to worry about it and will retest it again in a couple of months.

Thanks again.

I wouldn't worry too much Eva. My blood is tested once a week and it's all over the place. My MCV is 101 and some of the other results are slightly higher or slightly lower than the "normal" range. It's a range because everyone is different and it can fluxuate. I have a C reative protien level of 17.2 at my last test, it's suppose to be below 5. That's the lowest it's been in 2 years or more, it's up because of the RA inflamation.

Try not to focus too much on the number too much, it's only slightly higher than the AVERAGE NORMAL range and it may well be within YOUR normal range. Too much information can sometimes be a bad thing.

Thanks, Piglet. I shall try not to focus on it as much as I can and as long as all other lab work are OK. It was surprising to me as those figures were always within the mid-range.

I hope you continue to feel well too.

Eva, many of us do have a certain area of our CBC bloodwork that will be slightly out of the "normal" range.
Same issue here, and for now my doctor isn't concerned either. Best wishes for good health. :)

Thanks, Bina. Neither my GP nor my Cardio are concerned and I am trying to adapt their confidence that all is well. Best wishes for good health to you too :smile2:

I agree with the others, try not to worry. I have had many SED rate blood tests over the years. My PCP years ago said it's an indicator of inflammation. Are you on any cholesterol meds that may be causing a reaction?? I'm thinking muscle aches or something along that line....If you feel fine overall, and SED is usually high for you, maybe that's the normal for you? I hope you feel better soon..hugs.

Thanks, LucyLou. I am on Simvastatin on and off as it causes me some joint pains. But my SED had always been high years before I started Simvastatin. My doctor checked for Arthritis and other cause, all are negative (luckily):confused2:

Take a deep breath and relax. You'll be fine.

Thanks. Deep breaths are always helpful. I need to be reminded to take them more often:smile2:

Thanks, Bill, for the information My MCV and MCH are within the normal range. It is the "Red Cell Distribution Width-Standard Deviation" and the "Red Cell Distribution Width-Coefficient Variation" that are slightly above the top range. I was a bit scared of starting Hemolysis since it happened to some members here. But luckily, my Nucleated RCB% is 0.0 and I hope it remains so. I will try not to worry about it and will retest it again in a couple of months. Thanks again.
OK those are calculated from MCV measurements. If it is high it means you have variation in the size of your red cells -- some small, some large. It's used to help diagnose aenmia, helping to diferentiate between iron, B12 and folate deficiency among other causes of anemia. Again, if you are near the borderline of the high end and have no anemia, this on its own is nothing to get worried about.

I have some anemia, you don't. Anemia from mechanical valve hemolysis is usually quite mild, like mine.

Latest posts

Back