Any correlation between incision length and the valve being replaced?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any correlation between incision length and the valve being replaced?

• I had my pulmonary valve replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think fyrfytr's ahead in scar length!
I'm passing out prizes, not Ross, so get your #'s in!

Mary said:
I think fyrfytr's ahead in scar length!
I'm passing out prizes, not Ross, so get your #'s in!

Can we hear what the prizes are???? We do have the option to edit our posts after all!:D

Lynlw said:
so do you multiply for being opend a few times?
If that's the case - I am at 44" (3 OHS & a reopened scar due to infection). ;) :D ;)

I had mitral valve repair, and my scar is about 4 inches long. It's under my right breast. Of course, I'm the oddball. I had minimally invasive heart surgery.

annie10 said:
I had my aortic valve replaced, and my scar is 8". I wonder if the length of our scars have anything to do with the size of our surgeon's hands?:)

I don't think so since when Justin was 5 pounds his surgeon had some of the biggest hands i ever saw, that was one of the first things my DH and I talked about after meeting him, and Justin's scar was about 2-3 inches

My frist surgery was in 1979 then 1985 then 1997 and the last was done under the breast. Each incision I noticed was just a bit longer. It is now 11 inches long and I am 5'4" tall. Takes about 3/4ths of my chest. I wish they could have used the same incisions for the drainage tubes since I have 6 of those x's.

Length of Scar

Length of Scar

My AVR vertical scar is 7 inches. Then it is another 2 inches down to the 3 chest tube scars.

No prize is necessary. I am just happy to be alive and feeling relatively well.

Aortic- 5 inches total- 4 of those are nice and clean, straight. The top part is jagged cause my surgeon didnt leave enough room and had to cut more after it tore.

Adrienne said:
I had a mitral valve repair. I am about 5'8" and my scar is just over 6".

I also had a mitral repair. I marked mitral replacement, since there was no repair option. I'm the same height as you , Adrienne too, but my scar is between 7 and 8 inches.

So...Mary, I'm guessing it has more to do with your surgeon than anything else.

Wow, there are quite a few mitral valve REPAIRS here.

Wow, there are quite a few mitral valve REPAIRS here.

At least compared to when I joined this site almost five years ago. I think I was the only one (or one of two maybe) back then and there were about five hundred members at the time.

Maybe they're doing more repairs vs. replacements these days.

weekycat said:
I also had a mitral repair. I marked mitral replacement, since there was no repair option. I'm the same height as you , Adrienne too, but my scar is between 7 and 8 inches.

So...Mary, I'm guessing it has more to do with your surgeon than anything else.

I think you're right! That, and how recently you underwent surgery.
Live and learn; live and learn!

Latest posts

Back