Any correlation between incision length and the valve being replaced?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any correlation between incision length and the valve being replaced?

• I had my pulmonary valve replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
M

Mary

Poll is open to public viewing (click on the number displayed) and more than one option will be marked.
For example, I had my aortic valve replaced (1st check) and my scar is 6" long (second check).
After voting, please put something in the reply so we know that there has been another response generated. :)
And just to keep it simple, if you've had more than one OHS, please use the most recent #'s. And one more thing--don't guess! Measure it if you're going to vote!

Dick had minimally invasive avr- he's not here to measure, sorry, Mary, but I would say it is about 3 inches.

Tissue valve in the aotic position. Scar is less than 5 inches long (like 4.75")

Marguerite

I had an aortic valve AND aortic root replacement. Are you forgetting about me, Mary? :( :p ;)

(And am I the only one with a dirty mind when the subject is taking out a ruler and measuring things? :D )

WayneGM said:
Mary, did you also want answers if we had a repair (choices only reflect replace)?
Yes, but please mention that it was a repair.

RobHol said:
I had an aortic valve AND aortic root replacement. Are you forgetting about me, Mary? :( :p ;)

(And am I the only one with a dirty mind when the subject is taking out a ruler and measuring things? :D )

No you aren't ;) :p and just vote aortic valve!
Come on, Bob, get with the program :p :p I can see you haven't voted yet!:)

And Rocky, I thought your scar was 7 inches? If so, you should vote 6-7! Let me know, and I'll see if Ross will change it!

Let's see, first surgery scar is approximately 13 inches, horizontal.
2nd surgery scar is 10 1/4 inches vertically plus the shoulder scar at 2 1/4 inches.

that makes for a grand total of 25 1/2 inches of scars on my chest.
I want someone to beat that lol.

Mine is around 10. I think it would be interesting to see when the OHS was done. It seems like most of the scars are getting shorter these days.

I had a mitral valve Repair
my incision scar is 4 1/2 inches long:D

Karlynn said:
Mine is around 10. I think it would be interesting to see when the OHS was done. It seems like most of the scars are getting shorter these days.
I think you are right, Karlynn. My last surgeon told me he could do the surgery with a smaller incision but, since the scar was already there, he opened the whole thing to get the most access.

Back in 1980, when I had my first surgery, I don't think they cared too much about scar size only about getting in and out successfully.;) :D :rolleyes:

My scar is right at 16". I had both my aortic valve replaced and aortic aneurysm repair in 2003.

I voted under Mitral Valve & 9" -- but the ugly keloid part is only 4" (of the 9) plus 3 small keloid spots. My scar (& valve) are 2 1/2 yrs. old.

Latest posts

Back