Anxiety waiting for a date

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glooney34

I was approved for TAVR surgery 11 days ago, but they have not given me a date. They have to have 3 cardio guys present and I guess the scheduling is a problem. Meanwhile, I am dealing with the worry and anxiety with low dose Ativan. Can't seem to mentally convince myself that everything will be OK.. Any suggestions?

I understand how you feel. The wait for the surgery, the wait for the date, can be extremely stressful. The low dose Ativan seems like a good idea to me. If I had to relive the wait over again, I'd ask for meds to help me through it. Best wishes going forward. Mary

Thanks, Mary. I also have cancer surgery ahead. I was concerned about the tranquilizers until my Oncologist said "you have cancer! Don't worry about getting addicted. We'll deal with any addiction after we deal with the cancer". So I'm careful, but they really help.

the waiting time is tough. Suggestions are so personal in their usefulness, but my view is that I just accept that the outcome will be the outcome and knowing in advance will not change it. I just move on and where I can (and need to) talk to my spouse or friends (and if I'd known of here talk here).

Anything specific on your mind?

I found prayer helpful, particularly repetetive prayer, such as the rosary. It takes the mind off the worry and allows your sub concious to find answers and peace.

Sometimes anxiety can be a symptom of feeling the situation is out of your control. I found that taking control of as much as possible prior to surgery was a big help, Eat as healthy as you can. Get whatever exercise you are permitted to. Read and study about what you can to make recovery as good as possible. I was so focused on being as prepared as possible that I never really worried about the surgery itself.

I now have a date for my TAVR surgery-Tuesday 8/26. I worry about the tubes, catheter and pain, and the procedure. Will I have any control over my post surgery situation?

Great that you now have a date, not long and it will be over and so will some of your worry. Have they explained it all properly to you ? There won't be the kind of pain that you get with open heart surgery, and maybe not any tubes at all, apart from one in which medications are given ? At least that's my understanding as the procedure is supposed to be similar to angiogram in terms of how it feels, this site explains a bit more: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condi...placement-TAVR-or-TAVI_UCM_450827_Article.jsp I guess some of how it's done depends on whether it is done through a femoral artery or though a small incision in the chest - either way I'm sure they'll take care of any pain….just ask and tell them if you are in pain. And do give us a report of how it went afterwards when you feel up to it. All the very best.

Hi Glooney, You are so lucky to have TAVR the hospital in Buffalo does it now and from the looks of the video on the Gates Vascular Institute page it looks amazing! Good luck, remember "God doesn't give you more than you can handle" someone told me that and it got me thru some difficult moments. Take care, JP

Thanks, joanpieroni. I'm counting on *God not giving more than I can handle. " The surgery is easier and the recovery time is shorter, but there are more complications. This is a third generation valve that has some of the problems fixed. It is a pig valve with a metal casing.

Hi, reading your remarks, I could not help but recall the terrible anxiety I felt before surgery. You are not alone, there because most of us have felt the same way. I worried about everything. Since I live alone, I worried that I might not be able to even care for myself once I returned home. I worried about many of the same things you mentioned. In fact, not even one of those things happened. I came to after surgery with the vent tube in place but it just wasn't a problem and long before I became fully conscious it was removed. I worried about pain but any that I felt was offset by how much better I felt. I would encourage you to follow Ryan's advice and do things that are possible now. Pick out some comfortable soft clothes you can change into as soon as you can; for me, that was the second day after I left the ICU. I found that taking music on my telephone was a wonderful thing that I used every day in the hospital. I tried to read but the drugs left over from surgery made it impossible to concentrate. Do laundry and set aside things to wear. Get some frozen foods and some canned things for your cupboard that you can easily fix. Perhaps, arrange for a friend to visit when you get home and go walking with you. Any small chore you can do will help give you a sense of taking control.

We have all lived with the risks of surgery but surgery offers the opportunity for a future that we did not have with our failing heart valves. Your experience is likely to be far better than you expect, especially, since your sternum will not be injured. I look forward to hearing from you in a few days. It really will be better than you expect.

Larry

Thanks, Larry for the words of encouragement. Fortunately, I have a caring wife to help me. I hope my experience is as good as yours. I leave for the hospital in an hour. Surgery tomorrow. I will post as soon as I am able. Jerry

t

Had the TAVR surgery on Tuesday and they sent me home on Thursday.. The surgery took less than 3 hours. They went up the femoral artery at each groin. One wire for the valve, the other to tinker with the electrical system and help position the valve.They also cut near the carotid artery. to provide easy access to the heart area. They took the breathing tube out before I was fully awake. The only pain was from the three cuts the made. The most pain was from the Foley when the nurse banged into several times i while bathing me. I asked for and received pain medication for its removal. More later.

Great to hear from you so soon after your surgery ! And you were sent home very quickly - they must have been pleased with you. I'm sure you're pleased that it's over now.

With very best wishes for your continued recovery !

Thanks, Paleo. Some things that surprised me: The CICU RN's ranged from very good and knowledgeable to just learning, I had both.There was only one charge nurse per shift for all the cardiac patients. The step down unit was out of control-no one in charge. Laughed and talked all night. Had to call them to empty my urinal. Did not get my evening bath. Requested my medication 20 minutes early and the nurse said no.- asked again an hour later, and the nurse said "do you really need it/?" They use a lot of helpers.The doctors were all great, and I got a good result. But my hospital stay could have been better. One employee asked me if i was enjoying myself. .It seems that they are saving money at the staff level.. The last time I was in the hospital, the nurses were dressed in white. They had RN's and LPN's. These nurses were in jeans and tee shirts. Maybe petty things, but important when you are there.

Yay! You've been on my mind and in my prayers! I agree about the nursing wardrobe. At least all my staff wore scrubs, but it was hard to differentiate between and RN and a CNA and a food service person. Nursing whites would have made a difference. Glad you're home and doing well!

Latest posts

Back