Anticoagulation and Informed Consent

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenr

Have any of you been given written informed consent when placed on long term anticoagulation whether it be from primary care physician or anitcoagulation clinic. If so could you post the information please.

Thanks
Warren R

Not sure if it applies

Not sure if it applies

Warren,

I wasn't given an informed consent form by my surgeon when I chose a mechanical valve for Anti-Coag therapy that I remember. I don't think that it's really an option. Several of our members went in for a tissue valve, but came out with a mechanical...there's no giving consent for that. Maybe I didn't read the info from my surgeon close enough though...It may have been included with the surgery informed consent.

Anticoagulation therapy was not discussed at all prior to my first OHS because my self-assured surgeon was convinced he could repair the valve. There was not even a "what-if" brought up.

But, like Kristy said, I am sure there was some clause in all the hospital consents, that would cover it. I know there is always some type of thing that states agreement to appropriate care for the situation at hand.

Back