Anticoagulants and other surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jane

Just a hypothetical question... When I have my AV replaced in a few years time, it will most likely be a mechanical one and so I will have to take anticoagulants. What I want to know is, what would happen if I had to have other surgery eg hip replacement, while I am on the anticoagulant. If they take me off it for the operation, wouldn't I be at a risk of clots around the valve?? If they didn't take me off it, how would the operation heal?? :confused:

About three days before the surgery, they will take you off the Coumadin temporarily and put you on the injections that don't stay in your system as long. They might have to give you Vitamin K injections to get your INR low enough. I had a hysterectomy and the goal was for my INR to be 1.8 the morning of surgery (normally 3.0-3.5). Started back on Coumadin the next day. They don't expect bleeding after surgery, so Coumadin shouldn't make a difference as long as it is monitoroed.

Hi Jane,
This is what I found on the Anticoagulants. Hope this helps you.

ANTICOAGULANTS

Blood clotting is good when we cut ourselves or get into an accident. However, a lot of cardiovascular problems arise from blood clotting inappropriately in blood vessels or the chambers of the heart. Doctors use blood thinning agent to prevent this inappropriate clotting without causing excessive bleeding as a side effect. There are 2 systems in the blood that promote clotting, platelets and the coagulation system.

The coagulation system consists of a large number of protein molecules that circulate in the blood. Anticoagulants interfere with any one of a number of these proteins to produce powerful blood thinning effects. They help prevent blood clots from forming and help stabilize and slowly dissolve those that have already formed. Clot dissolving agents (thrombolytic agents) rapidly dissolve blood clots.

Intravenous heparin achieves an immediate anticoagulant effect and is useful for treating and stabilizing patients with blood clots on the legs (phlebitis) or the lung (pulmonary embolus) as well as patients with unstable angina or a heart attack. These latter 2 conditions are contributed to by blood clots in the coronary arteries. Heparin is also used to prevent blood clotting during procedures such as cardiac catheterizations, angioplasties and open heart surgery.

Heparin can also be used a substitute for oral anticoagulants in patients who are unable to take medication orally. The only oral anticoagulant, coumadin, cannot be given to pregnant women during certain parts of their pregnancy (particularly the first trimester) as it can cause birth defects. Heparin can be used in its place as heparin has not been associated with birth defects. Use of intravenous heparin must be monitored closely by blood tests. Lower doses of heparin are used subcutaneously to prevent blood clots from forming in leg veins when hospitalized patients are unable to walk.

There are new medicines available called low molecular weight heparins. These include enoxaparin (Lovenox), dalteparin (Fragmin), ardeparin (Normiflo), nadroparin (Fraxiparine), reviparin (Clivarine) and tinzaparin (Innohep). These are usually administered subcutaneously and appear to be at least as effective and safe as heparin. Unlike heparin, they do not require blood tests for monitoring.

Another substance, known as a heparinoid, goes by the name of danaproid (Orgaran). This has been used to treat a rare side effect of heparin, called heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT).

And finally, there is a medicine called lepirudin (Refludan). This is related to the substance secreted by the leeches (Hirudo medicinalis) used by physicians in the past to bleed patients. It too inhibits the coagulation system. You will be relieved to know this medicine can now be administered without applying a leech to your body! It is produced using recombinant DNA technology and administered intravenously. It is currently indicated to treat HIT and is being investigated for other cardiovascular uses as well. A related medicine, bivalirudin (Angiomax) can be used as a blood thinner in place of heparin during angioplasty procedures.

An amino acid derivative, argatroban, can also be used to treat HIT. Argatroban is also being investigated for use in cardiac procedures and in the treatment of acute myocardial infarctions and HIT.

The only oral anticoagulant is coumadin. This is given for several months after a person has had a blood clot in a leg vein or the lung and sometimes after a heart attack as well. People with mechanical heart valves and many patients with atrial fibrillation or blood clots in their heart chambers must remain on coumadin chronically to prevent strokes. Some people have unusually thick blood due to abnormal coagulation proteins and also must remain on coumadin permanently.

Treatment with coumadin requires periodic monitoring with blood tests. Doctors used to measure something called the prothrombin time or "pro-time" but we now measure a more accurate indicator of blood thinning called the International Normalized Ratio (INR). The main side effect with coumadin is an increased risk of bleeding.

Many medications interact with coumadin. It is prudent to check the INR more frequently when other medications are added or withdrawn.

Coumadin works by interfering with the effect of vitamin K. Vitamin K is used by the liver to make some of the coagulation proteins. Excess vitamin K will offset the effect of coumadin. However, contrary to popular belief, people on coumadin do not have to avoid foods with vitamin K. The dose of coumadin can be adjusted for any level of dietary vitamin K intake. However, it is important to eat the same amount of vitamin K containing foods all the time so that the level of blood thinning remains stable. Vitamin K is found in vegetables, particularly the green leafy vegetables.

Christina

Hi Jane: In my case I had a "benign" tumor removed from my neck four months after my mechanical AVR implant. I was taken off Coumadin one week prior to the surgery. It turned out the "benign" tumor was not benign, but was Squamous Cell Carcinoma. I was scheduled for a Radical Neck Dissection which included the removal of 23 lymph nodes, my sternocleidomastoid muscle, my submandibular gland and my jugular vein from the right side of my neck one week after the first surgery. In the meantime I was injected subcutaneously with Lovenox daily by my wife until the day prior to the second surgery. I restarted Coumadin the day after the second surgery. I had no problems.

Many thanks for the very helpful replies. I will print them all out for future reference.

That is a hypothetical question for me. I've been through six surgeries since I was placed on wafarin, but went off warfarin only 5 times because two surgeries were done on successive days. The surgeons required that I go off Coumadin 1 week prior to the surgery.

The part that is so very confusing is the communication with the primary doctor who measures INR. There is no communication. The surgeon typically states that I should have my INR measured 1 week postsurgery after starting up again on the Coumadin. The doctors' office staff keep my on the same INR testing schedule irregardless of the surgery, and independently of when I had the surgery, usually every 4-6 weeks. In fact in a couple of cases the impending surgery was not in the chart, and in two cases the surgery results were not in the chart. During this 2.5 year time I had three different INR doctors in sequence, each one disregarding surgery.

Apparently the most important chart is for billing.

After the last surgery when I was attempting to get my postsurgery INR measured as requested by the thoracic surgeon, the primary doctor fired me for having too many chronic conditions. No referral to another INR doc. Could find no other INR doc for months.

So I was on my own, returning to presurgery Coumadin levels and hoping for the best, with an INR by the Urgent Care unit which is supposed to be for emergencies, not to cover for mispracticing doctors.

I did make it. I did transfer all care out of this county to a teaching hospital elsewhere. I learned an important lesson- - that is we should never be dependent upon inadequate care, and we should remain informed as to what is adequate. I probably will never stay with an dysfunctional system again.

Additional surgery with coumadin

Additional surgery with coumadin

I had 2 valves replaced and 3 bypass with our friend-coumadin. I also became allergic to Heaperin. They used the Refludin medication treatment on me with success. The normally wait to take you off coumadin until about 24 hrs. prior to surgery. They also can give you blood plasma or other blood segments to rapidly change the IRN.

There is a risk of stroke during this period of time. The coumadin usually does not start until about 24 hrs. after surgery. They keep the count around 2 during this short healing period. Also close monitoring.

I had many TIA's after the surgery, but was on table for 12 hrs. and on pump for 6 hrs. BAD NEWS.

Hope that this does not add to your concerns, but it is a problem.

Welcome Joann!

Welcome Joann!

It is great to see you posting here Joann! Michelle and I are really hoping to see you and your sig other in Nashville. I do hope that you go so that others can meet you and feel your strength as Michelle and I have.

Hank and Michelle

I had my sternal wires removed 7 mos after surgery. I stopped taking coumadin3 days before
surgery and the day of surgery my inr was 1.6.
I was a bit nervous, but all turned out fine.
I started my coumadin up that night.
Anytime we stop the coumadin for that long it is a
risk, but I was willing to take it for the comfort
I now have with those wires out!
Gail

Latest posts

Back