Another ? regarding wisdom teeth

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherbam

My dentist thinks it's time to have 4 wisdom teeth removed. The oral surgeon and cardio said I will need to be admitted to the hospital. I take 6mgs of warfarin everday for my two mechanical valves and one bovine valve. My questions are: how long do you think I will be in the hospital?, does it really hurt?, will they knock me out?, and does most insurance cover the hospital stay? Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Cherbam,

I wish that there were easy answers for you. Your situation is complicated with 3 replaced valves. You probably will be knocked out (it's easier for the oral surgeon).

How long will you be in the hospital??? Maybe a day or 2. Depends on how they handle your anticoagulation.

Does it really hurt? A bit, not as bad as your OHS though. The worst is about 1 week to 10 days after the extractions. You'll be sore.

Does insurance cover it? Good question. It depends on your policy, but most medical insurance will NOT cover dental procedures, and most dental policies don't cover any hospitalization. Ross might know a bit more about that as he had a mighty fight with his insurance company when he had his teeth extracted.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help :(

Hi Cherbam,

Are your wisdom teeth causing you trouble?! I may have missed earlier threads if this was brought up earlier.

To answer a part of your question, you will be knocked out for a short time. I was knocked out when I had two teeth pulled out before my braces. I am not sure about the hospital stay, it may depend on your INR returning to normal. Others may be more informative.

Good luck.

Insurance should cover the hospitalization, but you'll have to check your policy as far as the dental procedure goes. Mine was NOT covered.

You'll be knocked out. Probably a same day surgery deal, but they may keep you overnight for observation.

Make sure they bridge you properly. Make sure all bleeding has stopped before starting up Lovenox or you'll be in for an unpleasant surprise.

Ask the oral surgeon for a prescription for Bashkars solution. Between it and most likely Vicodin, it'll keep the pain to a minimum.

Back