Another marathon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Wagner

As most of you know, two weeks ago I ran my second marathon in Victoria, Canada. I was planning on running my third marathon during the month of May in Vancouver, Canada. My recovery has been 200% better then when I ran my first marathon in 2002.
Long story short, a couple of days ago I started 'buttering' up my wife, and at just the right time I sprung it on her that I would like to run the marathon in Las Vegas, in January. Reluctantly she has agreed, and starting this morning I will start training for number 3!
Here is the kicker... they bus you 25 miles out of the city to Jean Nevada, and you run back! From what I have read and heard, mentally it is grueling, because spectators are rare, lots of sage brush, and the whole time your looking at the city ... and it dosen't seem to be getting any closer! I'm pumped!
This one I will run in memory of a child hood friend whom died this past year of a heart attack. I may set up a web page, where people may send in a donations to the 'American Heart Association' and then send me a name of whom they would like to memorialize, and then I could add names to the web page. I'll have to get right on it, for I only have 14 weeks till the marathon.

... Mark :cool:

I'm going to have to see about getting a Road Runner to run along side of you and keep you company. :D

I expect it to be somewhat grueling. Nevada can be a little warm and if it's sunny........well, you'll roast. Can you say "Air Conditioned Shoes?".

There, now that I gave you a huge pep talk, congratulations of running another one. Let us know when your list starts going up on the web site. :)

Go for it

Go for it

Hi Mark,

great news and wishing you well with the training. It certainly sounds as though you're well and truly hooked on running the marathon!

I don't know what the Nevada desert is like in January, but my six-year-old son came home from school one day last week to tell me that he and a friend had invented a 'pair of shoes for people in hot countries' as part of their classwork. He went on to explain it involved a fan and a small air conditioning unit )not very practical) but, and this was the bit he was most proud of, a bag of ice cubes strapped to the side to keep the foot cool. So, if you need something along these lines, I'll ask Freddie if you can use his idea!

Keep us posted,

Simon

From the marathon web site, it says you meet at the MGM Grand at 4:30 AM where you catch the bus. When I told my wife that, she just said, "I'll see you at the finish line." :(
Usually the weather is pretty good, but last year they had a wind storm. I was talking a while back to the editor of Northwest Runner, and he said last year it was so windy; you had sand in teeth, up your nose, and in your eyes. At the finish line the wind was blowing so hard, the space blankets they give you were flying through the air like kites. He has been going to this marathon for years, and said that was the first time he could recall the marathon having had weather like that.
I like the shoe idea Simon! Sometimes I wish I could circulate ice water to my feet!

you are incredible!!!!

you are incredible!!!!

hi mark!
i think you are starting to remind me of the energizer bunny... you just keep going and going and going....
sounds great to me!
you are truly amazing and i look forward to hearing all about it.
stay well, sylvia

Back