Angiogram and aortic valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In cardiac catheterization (often called cardiac cath), a very small hollow tube, or catheter, is advanced from a blood vessel in the groin or arm through the aorta into the heart.

If a leaflet had previously sustained a slight tear, further injury might be a risk factor, as the catheter passes through the aorta?

IIRC, there have been mentions of there being a risk to the valve if/when the catheter is passed through that valve. Best to discuss with the interventional cardiologist prior to the test to ensure that your concerns are considered.

When I had my pre-surgical angiogram, they warned me that since my valve opening had closed down so much (it was about 0.8 cm2), they may not be able to pass the catheter through my valve without danger to me. In my case, it all went fine, and we proceeded to surgery a couple of weeks later.

If I remember mine correctly they didn't actually pass it through the valve but they went right up close to it so I imagine damage is a possibility .

Thanks for the responses thus far. I would suggest that anyone with a flail leaflet discuss this thoroughly with medical staff before going through a procedure like an angiogram.

Latest posts

Back