Aneurysm with symptoms?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGene

I was diagnosed in Feb 2008 of an aneurysm on a mobile echo machine at a family get-together. The tech volunteered to do this while enjoying wine and pizza.

She didn't know at the time that I had experienced sharp pains and discomfort after strenuous activity before. A year or two before this my PCP said Bp good, heart sounds good and I am considered extremely fit.

The echo showed immediatly what my concerns have been. The following day was the first time an expert could diagnose the dialation.

Before that and since the first diagnoses the pressure or pain has never really been talked about. Has anybody else experienced this feeling before you knew what it was. You usually only hear of the pain associated with dissection not dialation.

The Ct scan and MRI both show the same measurement with no signs of dissection.

Because of this pressure or pain I was able to convince my cardio office for a sooner than prescribed next echo and possible 2nd opinion by Stanford or Cleveland Clinic. This comes next Mon.:confused:

I was told when i first found out, that i wouldnt have any symptoms. But it seems the more i read and research, the more symptoms i have. I dont know if its mental or actual symptoms.

The only symptom I had before I even knew I had an aneurysm was trouble swallowing. Even now after the op I have it just a little. I don't know but at my family get-togethers we fight and eat...if i see a mobile echo, I'm running...lol.
Seriously, lots of luck to you, glad you are getting the second opinion.

Linda

The only symptom I had before I even knew I had an aneurysm was trouble swallowing.
Linda

Linda, that's really interesting. Lately I have been having this swallowing problem also. For years I've had throat tightness...at first it was only on exercise exertion, but now I get it just walking. I don't find references to these symptoms in the literature. Could it be the aneurysm compressing the esophagus?

I just found this:

Symptoms of an aortic arch aneurysm or a descending thoracic aneurysm may include, but are not limited to, the following:

wheezing, coughing, or shortness of breath as a result of pressure on the trachea (windpipe)
coughing up blood (hemoptysis)
hoarseness as a result of pressure on the vocal cords
difficulty swallowing (dysphagia) due to pressure on the esophagus
pain in the chest and/or back

and this:

What Are the Symptoms of an Aortic Aneurysm?
Aortic aneurysms often cause no symptoms at all. But if present, symptoms include:

Tearing pain in the chest, abdomen, and/or middle of the back between the shoulder blades.
Thoracic aneurysms may cause shortness of breath, hoarseness, brassy cough (due to pressure on the lungs and airways), and difficulty swallowing (pressure on the esophagus)
Rupture of an aneurysm can cause loss of consciousness, stroke, shock, or a heart attack
If you are experiencing sudden unexplained chest, abdominal, or back pain, or any of the other symptoms mentioned above, seek medical attention.

???

Jim

Jim,
You are right, the swallowing only started a few months before I went for my stress test, (for shortness of breath, I now have COPD), I thought it was lingering from the pneumonitis I had over the holidays...then when I found out about the aneurysm the thoracic cardio nurse asked if i had trouble swallowing...then i knew it was a symptom. Now after the op, it's not as bad only with bread and dry stuff, I guess my aneurysm was near my esophagus?.
Linda

MGene,

God works in mysterious ways. You are so blessed your aneurysm was found, and what a story you have to tell. My husband's aneurysm was found in a routine physical with an antiquated x-ray. He was the picture of health, athletic, and he had no symptoms (or so we thought). His aneurysm was 5.1, he was 51 years of age........and we were told to "wait" for surgery. We started researching, asking questions, and we followed our hearts instead of the word of our local cardiologist and surgeon. We sent our information to Cleveland Clinic and after review, it was suggested that surgery was the proper avenue. In retrospect, my husband did have symptoms that we assumed at the time were seasonal. Coughing, tiredness, raspy voice......we thought it was allergies but we now recognize the symptoms.

I can't speak to the sharp pains, etc. but let me encourage you to listen to your body and follow what you know is right for you! We know we did the right thing taking this situation into our own hands and going outside of our comfort zone to get help!

Mine was found when I was 50 and was originally measured at 4.6. That was good because while the info settled in it was smaller but after an episode of pleurousy and an ER visit the MRI showed it had been 5.2 probably at the time of the first Echo. I don't think I could have taken the first diagnoses mentally of such an extreme measurement.
6 months later the next Echo showed 5.2 and raised fear of growth. Then followed a Ct and another 5.2.
I am even more aware of the pressure now than before but try to not to let it convince me it's worse and hope it isn't.

Looking back now, I had pressure and did have a sharp pain every now and then. I knew something was not right because I was so short of breath with exercise, my main symptom was stomach problems for a couple of months! Can't believe I have come so far! Mgene what are you waiting for and why, may I ask?

I think if most of us look back we would see little signs...for me it was the swallowing, although the only reason they found the aneurysm was the shortness of breath that was getting worse in a short period of time, that however, along with the aneurysm, showed up on my CT scan, so I learned about the aneurysm and the COPD at the same time. Now that the operation is over the breathing is still the same, but at least I am alive to now go to a pulmonary doctor, to control the COPD.
I was extremely lucky ....

If you go to Stanford, it is my understanding that
Dr. Craig Miller is THE Aorta Surgeon in Northern California.
Dr. Lax seems to be the guy to go to in L.A.

I'm not sure who the Aorta Surgeon(s) are at CC.
They have so many Great and Experienced Surgeons.

Mine was found when I was 38. I was the picture of health, athletic and walked for 20 t0 30 km in a day ,climbed 3000 meters height hills with in 2-3 hours to visit temples as per Hindu religion norms. and never noticed any thing .Suddenly i lost consciousness on 05-06-08 .But many people told me that iam not able to speek continuously with out break.But only thing noticed was Black patches(blood clots) on my foots. my doc told me this is sign of aneurysm .Rest is srinivas Heart History

SRINIVAS

srinivas Heart History:
13/6/2008 2D Echo Diagnosed Ascending Aortic Dissection ,Bicuspid aortic valve, Moderate AR at the age of 38(2008)
9/6/08 CT scan shows Aneurysmal dilation of aortic root and ascending aorta with dissection extending upto brachio cephalic trunk and mild aneurysm
16/07/08 Operative findings & repair. Aortic aneurysm approx size 10 cms diameter.Aneurysm extd upto 1c m from innomiate artery. Mod. Bental DC Bono surgery procedure done to repair my anueuysm with#25 mm St.Jude medical valved conduit(SN 84094003.REF25CAVGJ-51400 AOROTIC VALVED GRAFT) At CARE Hospital Bangara Hills,Hyderabad,India. Surgeon: Dr K.s. Neelakandan gave me re birth! Dr . Sridar,Dr.Amreesh, Dr.Jagannatham completed the formalities.

God does work in mysterious ways. My aneurysm appeared in a routine chest x-ray where I probably was turned a bit. Although I live in MD and go to Johns Hopkins for my connective tissue problems, I spent one year working in Silicon Valley (2002-2003). I did not see Craig Miller out there because I did not need surgery at that time. However, I highly recommend the genetic/Marfan doctors out there. Dr. Liang was the first doctor to discover how bad my aortic valve was and to show me that it was also bicuspid. They really know their stuff at Stanford!

Hi MGene:

Was wondering if you had your second opinions at Stanford or Cleveland and what they had to say, specifically about your sharp chest pains, since I've had the same for about a year or more.

Equusz

Latest posts

Back