Aneurysm shrinkage???

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavesMom

Hi all,

I've had a mechanical valve for 18 years now (go, me and my valve!) : ) and am being followed for an aneurysm in the ascending aorta. It has averaged 4.5cm or so in the past few years but this year my report said it was 3.8. HUH? The radiologist even mentioned it appeared similar to last years, which was 4.5. It isn't possible for an aneurysm to shrink is it? I meet with my cardio in a couple of weeks but wanted to get your thoughts on it. I'm used to it varying a centimeter or so, but this just seemed too much. Could the radiologist have misread it? (That's what I'm guessing.)

The report also mentioned a new nodularity in the azygos esophageal recess which may be atelectatic I tried to look it up but couldn't find a whole lot, except something in the lung. Anyone know?

Hope everyone is doing well. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Well, there you go. I think it is possible. Mine shrunk from 4.1 to 3.8. There's some evidence that Losartan helps. Did you lower your BP?

You know what I would do? [drum roll]... get another echo and compare.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and that's great about your numbers! However, I'm not on Losartan and my BP is usually in the 130/70 range.

I'm still dubious as to the reading - that's quite a drop for one year. He also said it appeared similar to last year's CT, and i'd think there'd be a visible difference in the size that he would've mentioned.

So we'll see how it turns out. I may email my cardio's nurse in case in needs to be looked at again prior to my appointment. It would be great if it was right - repair surgery would be super risky and I don't even want to think about that.

Thanks again and take care!

Back