And MOO is Six! ! !

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epstns

Premium User
Supporting Member
Exactly six years ago today, at around this time (7:45 AM Central Time), I was being rolled down the corridor toward the OR at Chicago's Northwestern Memorial Hospital to have my aortic valve replaced. I had been almost surrealistically calm for the week or so leading up to this event, and the morning was no exception. I had already had some "happy juice" to take the edge off any anxiety, and remember being chilled even with the blanket covering me. I also remember being brought into the OR, and the team greeting me. They helped me transfer from the gurney onto the operating table, re-connected my IV, and the next thing I remember was waking up and someone telling me to "cough hard so we can get the tube out."

The next month or so was my personal trial in hell, as I had many complications, but each of them was eventually resolved and I gradually re-joined life. That process has continued unabated for these past 6 years. I've overcome numerous obstacles and issues to be here and able to say that truly "life is good." I am very pleased to be able to say that when I had a cath last summer (in preparation for replacing a failing pacemaker lead) the report was that my valve and heart are "just as they were years before when the valve was implanted." I can't ask for more than that.

I can also say that I've been blessed with an incredible extended family here at vr.org. All of you have been more important to me than you can know. My heartfelt thanks to you all!

epstns;n873855 said:
If that is true, why do I still have to force my way into a hamburger joint? Is it a conflict of interest?
Empathy probably. Why are you breaking into fast food joints, anyway? There's no point in trying to rescue your cow homies when they're already hamburgers.

Happy 6th "little" Moo valve brother! I can call you that because my valve is a year and a bit older than yours! Wink,wink.
Steve, wishing you many,many more years of great valve health! Thanks for all your contributions to this site.

Thanks, everyone! It makes it more fun when I can share the smiles and happy feelings with family.

Agian - I am NOT breaking into the burger joints. It is just that when I try to walk into them, my feet want to wander elsewhere. I get these silly "sinking" feelings, like something bad is going to happen if I go in there. Heck, I even have to close my eyes when I go into a Bar-B-Que joint.

Moo!

epstns;n873913 said:
Thanks, everyone! It makes it more fun when I can share the smiles and happy feelings with family.

Agian - I am NOT breaking into the burger joints. It is just that when I try to walk into them, my feet want to wander elsewhere. I get these silly "sinking" feelings, like something bad is going to happen if I go in there. Heck, I even have to close my eyes when I go into a Bar-B-Que joint.

Moo!

1) You are under no obligation to enter burger joints just because you have a cow valve.
2) Your feet do not have an independent consciousness and can not wander off by themselves. The idea of you entering without your feet is absurd.
3) I can only assume that you close your eyes on entering, but open them soon after, presumably with your feet still on.
4) You need to face your irrational fears and stop catastrophising. You are at no more risk of anything bad happening than anyone else. You ARE NOT on the menu.

epstns;n873913 said:
... I even have to close my eyes when I go into a Bar-B-Que joint.

Moo!

go to the Korean ones ... that's mostly pork ... just keep away from the Beef Bulgogi ;-)

but do try the KimChi ;-)

Agian;n873915 said:
2) Your feet do not have an independent consciousness and can not wander off by themselves. The idea of you entering without your feet is absurd.

or a very unfortunate incident.

Back