An early Thanksgiving

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

ccrawford

Today happened to be the opening day for quail season in Indiana. I missed it all last year due to total lack of stamina. I wondered if I'd ever experience it again and today I found out. Sophie, my Brittany and I traveled to a fish and game area in southern Indiana this morning. There was a heavy frost on the ground, but a bright sun and a slight breeze made for a lovely day. The two of us walked for about three hours without seeing a quail, but we enjoyed every minute of it. Shortly before noon, I found a local restaurant nearby that served a late breakfast and had one of those breakfasts I've been fantasizing about: Eggs, hash browns, sausage, bacon, and pancakes. (Notice I was prudent and passed on the bisquits and gravy !) We got home a little after noon and Sophie got groomed for about an hour - I think she had a pound of cockle burrs on her. She retired to my workshop for a nap while I took care of some errands. What a wonderful day and a day to be thankful for. Thought I'd share it with all of you, and hope that you too will have one of these days in the very near future. Chris :D

Hey Chris!

Whereabouts in southern Indiana??

I'm orginally from Brown County (Nashville). My brother loves to quail hunt...he still resides in BC.

Sounds like a delicious artery clogging breakfast!!:eek: :D :eek:

Reading with a large smile:D Chirs, sounds positively wonderful! Isn't it great to have that stamina back?!

At month 11 to the day....something just clicked. Was finally able to shift into high gear. Whomever said those famous words to me was so correct
"It takes a good year for your body to snap back"

True, so true.

Here's to many many more days like today. We certainly have a higher appreciation for life don't we?

Thanks for sharing.

Mommy3 - We live in Owen county but I was hunting in Greene county at Hillenbrand fish and wildlife. Our farm is about 10 miles SW of Spencer. Chris

Chris

Sounds exactly like my kind of day!!! What a wonderful way to spend your morning.....I'm sure Sophie loved it, too.....she was probably dreaming of Quail all afternoon in her nap.

Evelyn

Chris,
Thanks for the lovely description of your wonderful day. May you have many, many, many more (with some quail thrown in too.)

Karlynn

Evelynn - I can always tell when Sohie is having good doggie dreams because she exhibits RPM --- "Rapid Paw Movement"

Yes, Chris, I know RPM well!!! We're up and out early this morning and will run three in the fields today.....a great walk for us and a fantastic run for them......have a great one.

Ev

Ah the elusive Bob Whites. When I did hunt, I was only lucky enough to score one of those things. Of all the times I went out, I only found 2 covies (sp) of them. 2! They aren't something we see much of around here.

Chris, what a beautiful image your post created. I'm so happy that you had a precious day out, doing the things you love to do. You deserve that! Nature is where we can hear God's voice.

I miss Indiana in the Fall. Where I live, we don't have the glory of the seasons. I'm glad you appreciate it.

Best,

Chris

Chris

I am go glad you and Sophie had a nice walk..:) ..When we had our farm..we called them beggar's lice..on our dogs.:p :p Anytime you are near my house. stop by for a good breakfast..Country fried ham with red-eyed gravy..grits, eggs and homemade biscuits. With lots of fresh butter and blackberry jelly.:D :D Bonnie

Hey, Chris -- I never knew you were a writer! Honestly, your post created such pleasant imagery that it will change my whole day for the better. Maybe we should commission you to write some guided imagery scripts?

Thanks for sharing.

Chris,

What a great story. It is true, it is so great when we get back to "normal" after the surgery. I bet it gives hope to the newbies too.

May you have many more!

Chris:
What an inspiration you have given me. I too enjoyed a holiday hunt with my 12 year old son, and spent much time in the field wondering if I will enjoy such pleasures again and with my 9 year old who so wants to hunt. Watching the sun rise over the water as the salmon start jumping and birds start flying.
My valve surgery is in January and your image of your day out will be burned into my brain along time.
Joe Parker

Chris,

What a wonderful story. It truly is the simple things in life like walking through the woods or having a good breakfast - that makes it all worthwhile. I think most of us on this board now appreciate the very "smallest" things in life - just waking up in the morning feeling good is one of the best things!

P.S. I haven't reached that point yet - waking up and feeling good, that is - hee - just 3 weeks and a few days post mitral valve repair surgery, but I am looking forward to that feeling one of these days, and will NEVER EVER take it for granted again!

Happy holiday season to you and yours -
Christina L.
Colorado

Sounds like an awesome day Chris. It reminds me of Steelhead fishing in years past. We would sit on the beach with my dad, waiting for the fishing rods (with bells on them) to start ringing, while sitting by the fire enjoying coffee, eggs and bacon. I can still smell the smoke, listen to the river, and here the quiet chatter. Days like that fade slowly; and that's a good thing.

Mark

Latest posts

Back