Aloha from Honolulu

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markw96789

Hello please let me introduce myself. My name is Mark. I am a retired Police Captain. I worked at the Honolulu Police Department for over 30 years before retiring on June 30, 2013.

I have recently been diagnosed with severe mitral valve stenosis and will require a mitral valve replacement soon.

I have been trying to find all the “Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How” information because that’s what I did for so many years.

Like most I am sure I have the same questions and feel the same anxiety of those that have come before me.

It’s great to find a supportive group.

Thank you in advance,

Mark

Hey Mark

welcome aboard. Not sure of your age, but if over 65 then valve choice is "as you feel". Unlike your past employment the culprits are internal and you can't bring them to justice and all that really matters here is how to move forward; which is to have surgery or some other intervention. The closer you are to >=70 the more a tissue prosthesis makes sense.

I wish you a straight forward procedure and a boring uneventful recovery.

Best Wishes

Aloha Gang

Got my surgery date finally scheduled for November 14th, 2022. I have a pre-surgery appointment on Monday, October 31st Halloween. Lol. Trick or treat.

My surgeon is Dr Dean Nakamura of the Queen’s Medical Center in Honolulu.

Dr Nakamura related that he is going to do open heart surgery to replace my mitral valve with a biological valve.

I am stressed about being on a heart lung machine. Omg they are actually going to stop my heart and then cut it open to replace my mitral valve. That’s a little unnerving.

Nervous about the thought of not being able to use my arms to get up and around and all the issues that come with that. Using the bathroom, getting out of bed, getting up from my recliner.

Having to count on my family to help me 24 hours a day for weeks.

Well I am glad I found this group and look forward to keeping the group updated a long the way.

You’re not going to be an invalid for weeks. You’ll be amazed how quickly they have you standing and taking walks. I had to walk a flight of stairs on my own before discharge both times and was walking laps around the cardiac floor multiple times a day. We enjoyed my sons 10th birthday party the day after I got home.

I enjoyed my recliner, but I could get up and get things for myself. I could hold my five month old daughter while seated in my chair. Kept a pillow to rest my arm on for support.

Your heart is beating again as soon as they’re done working on it and they give the starter cord a pull. Amazing how quickly that heals. The sternum takes the longest to heal.

Hi, I had mitral stenosis as well - in my case they we able to repair to via valvuloplasty which is a balloon thing similar to an angioplasty so no surgery. It’s not always a viable option but I just thought I would mention it. I’ve never encountered anyone else on the board who has had one, it’s pretty specific to mitral stenosis.

Latest posts

Back