All Systems Go..

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffF

T-Minus 6 Days until I go to Johns Hopkins to have my AVR done. After much deliberation I have decided to go with an On-X valve. I do want to thank everyone on this site for all of the support and information you provide. I have been on this site everyday for 2 months. I really do not know what I have done without it.

BIG Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff you shall live and not die in Jesus Name. You have a destiny and a purpose in this life, we need you here on earth for a little while longer. There is no reason why you should not be home by Christmas, you will be one of the last for class of 2011. Man what a life!

Very best wishes and positive vibes being sent your way for a speedy and uneventful recovery.
Hopefully, someone will be able to provide an update.

Thanks Everyone! I really appreciate the well wishes.

So Hopkins just called and bumped me to Dec. 16th. UGH!

Thanks Everyone! I really appreciate the well wishes.

So Hopkins just called and bumped me to Dec. 16th. UGH!

Lame! Well I'll be on the flip side of that weekend. Going in on Dec 19th, for my AVR. I chose On-x too. Did they contact you about the PROACT study?

Lame! Well I'll be on the flip side of that weekend. Going in on Dec 19th, for my AVR. I chose On-x too. Did they contact you about the PROACT study?

They have not. Did they contact you? I am not sure I want to participate. What are your thoughts?

They have not. Did they contact you? I am not sure I want to participate. What are your thoughts?

My surgeon is the representative for the PROACT study at the Cleveland Clinic. I think the study is rather limited, and I didn't want to increase my stroke risk. Also, I would have had to travel 220 miles for checkups, so I didn't want to do that either. It's a personal decision. I'm sure if they did not mention it to you in the pre-op screenings then they probably do not participate. I'm going to wait and see what the research shows before putting myself at risk.

My surgeon is the representative for the PROACT study at the Cleveland Clinic. I think the study is rather limited, and I didn't want to increase my stroke risk. Also, I would have had to travel 220 miles for checkups, so I didn't want to do that either. It's a personal decision. I'm sure if they did not mention it to you in the pre-op screenings then they probably do not participate. I'm going to wait and see what the research shows before putting myself at risk.

Those were my thoughts exactly. One of the reasons I went with the On-X valve was to wait and see how the data looked. And if it was promising then maybe I could change my ACT regimen.

Jeff, best wishes and know that my family will be thinking of you on your surgery day. I am sure you will come through bump free!

Hopkins isnt taking part in the trial at the bottom of this page has a list of the hospitals taking participating in it http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT00291525?term=proact&rank=7&show_locs=Y#locn

Sorry to hear you were bumped, I know at the time it stinks, especially if a few people like famly members have to change their plans around..travel work etc
BUT I tend to believe you have surgery when you are "supposed' to have surgery, plus if it helps, its nice knowing you are the patient in good enough shape that they can bump yours for someone else that needs surgery even more, at least those are the things i tell myself whenever Justin's were bumped.. and since Justin has alot of experience being bumped and also bumping other patients, to us at least, its better being the 'bumpee" an not the "bumper" who needs to have their surgery ASAP.

ill keep you in my prayers
hopefully you will have it on the 16th.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back