Alcohol pads yes or no

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the manual for the Coag-Sense PT2 meter,

"
If Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA)wipesare used, wipe the fingerstick site with a gauze pad and make sure the site is completely dry. If any alcohol remains (or is re-introduced) on the finger, it may cause unreliable results.

Do not use wipes containing chlorhexidine gluconate, as it may produce unreliable results."

For me, a rinse in warm water (and maybe a small amount of soap) and drying the hand with a paper towel are all the prep that I use. So far, I haven't gotten any infections and my fingers haven't fallen off.

According to the manual for the Coag-Sense PT2 meter,

"
If Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA)wipesare used, wipe the fingerstick site with a gauze pad and make sure the site is completely dry. If any alcohol remains (or is re-introduced) on the finger, it may cause unreliable results.

Do not use wipes containing chlorhexidine gluconate, as it may produce unreliable results."

For me, a rinse in warm water (and maybe a small amount of soap) and drying the hand with a paper towel are all the prep that I use. So far, I haven't gotten any infections and my fingers haven't fallen off.
That is what I have decided to do—-wash hands with warm water and soap, rinse thoroughly and dry with paper towel. Thanks for your input.

Husband tests regularly for glucose levels. Pretty much the same procedure I guess. He washes hands with plain water and a wee bit of Dettol liquid soap. He stabs his finger, squeezes a drop of blood out, wipes that off with a clean, plain tissue, squeezes again and uses that blood for the test. A nurse told him if there is anything on the needle or any residue on his hands, the ‘second squeeze’ technique will solve any issues. Seems to have worked for him for many years.

The 'second squeeze' technique will work for blood glucose - but probably not for INR testing. Blood glucose meters measure the actual amount of blood in the droplet used for the test.

However, for INR testing, a second squeeze or 'milking' a drop will add serum and probably change the speed of coagulation. A second squeeze or milking for a drop of blood will not give an accurate result if you use this technique for INR testing.

The preparation for INR testing with the Coaguchek XS monitor requires NO alcohol wipes. Just hand washing with warm water and basic soap, rinse well, and dry well with a clean towel. Use the bigger lancets to ensure getting a big enough drop of blood with only ONE stab, and maybe applying slight pressure below the stick site on the finger. Home testing and loving it for over 12 years :)

Bina - I don't think I've seen your posts for a while. It's good to see you here.

As far as 'the bigger lancets' go - these are 21 gauge lancets. I have more than 1000 - and don't use them - and they are yours if you want them (although help with postage would be good). I don't use the lancets because I prefer the single use lancing devices - they penetrate the right depth, the lancet retracts into the housing, and they're less hassle to use.

Latest posts

Back