Alan Page valve replacement oper.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations Alan!

Sounds like you had a very good surgical result and are coming along extremely well. You'll be tired for a while but you're in healing mode now. The worst is behind you.

Please pass to Allan all of our support and prayers for a continued great recovery.
It sounds as if he is right on track.
Congrats to you Allan on the success of your surgery.

God Bless,

Ben

Hi Alan

Hi Alan

Alan,
Congrats on a successful surgery. I know you are relieved to be on the mend. It sounds like the surgery went well. Remember to rest and relax while at your brothers.
Take Care and I am happy that things are going so well for you. You can watch the olympics while you rest!!!!

Tammy

2 1/2 weeks post op

2 1/2 weeks post op

It's now been a bit over two weeks since surgery. The sternum is still a bit sore, but I hardly ever need to take a painkiller. I've taken some long (30 +) minute walks in the downtown underground pathways (the main ones extend over six miles) in the past few days. But that's mostly after lunch. I still feel tired in the early mornings and evenings. Before surgery I though I was going to be good as new in just four weeks. Now I realize that was very unrealistic.

I was put on a small dose of Metoprolol and that's keeping my blood pressure down a bit. Sometimes it falls as low as 90/60, rarely gets over 115/65. I occasionally get a bit dizzy if I stand up and immediately start walking, but not to the point that I feel at risk of fainting. Before surgery I was a very normal 120/70.

Another symptom is that I feel cold unless the thermostat is set at 73 degrees. Also, food still tastes bland. I'm not sure if that's entirely the sense of taste or if the sense of smell is a little diminished as well.

All in all, I'm reasonably satisfied with my progress. I don't have any significant symptoms of 'pump head', which I worried about before surgery. I was able to start reading a novel even before I left the hospital. I feel that I can concentrate reasonably well and I'm not having any vision problems. I've even started to worry about my taxes and had a complicated discussion with my tax preparer today about capital gains, etc.

Alan

tax

tax

How wonderful to be able to deal with tax again....However this is only a passing symptom of surgery.Soon You will be able to ignore this and go for a walk in the park with an ice cream instead (lol)
Glad you are recovering and healing so well
love debs xxx

Dear Alan - so good to hear from you and that you are progressing well. It gets better as you recuperate and this takes its own time. Oone day yu won't even think about recuperation anymore. When you stand, get up slowly so that the pump can catch up with your movement upward. Don't want you falling out. Keep on takin those walks and don't hurry things. They'll all come. God bless:)

Are those long term or short term cap. gains?

Are those long term or short term cap. gains?

Alan-
I agree with Debs; your interest in capital gains must be a side effect of the by-pass pump.
Your news is great. Continued success in your recovery.

Food tasted bland for a while. I was hyper-sensitive to smells after my surgery. But, it didn't make food taste better.

Lucky you, getting to read a novel. I had three I wanted to read and couldn't. I spent a lot of time watching Game Show Network. Ughh. And The Sopranos on video.

-Mara

Hi Al,

Sounds like things are progressing along slowly, as it should be. I remember being really cold for about three weeks after surgery. I would bundle up in blankets in the recliner and a heating pad for my shoulder, which was sore because of surgery.

I too could not taste food. So bland. All this will go away in time. I think it has something to do with all the meds we were on. As that all gets out of your system, food starts to have a taste again.

I'm with Mara, lucky you being able to read a novel. I couldn't read a book for at least for two weeks. It hurt if I tried to hold any book up, plus i couldn't concentrate. I too watched TV, not that I could even remeber what i was watching. :)

All this will pass with time. Before you know it, you'll be taking longer walks and being feeling better and better each day. Take care and God Bless!

hi al!
so glad to hear you are doing so well. please try to be patient with your recovery. joey also thought he'd be up and around in no time after his surgery and was very disappointed when he found recovery to be slower than anticipated.
please try and enjoy this time and really rest and relax. your body needs it.
again, glad to hear recovery is going smoothly. please keep us posted.
be well, sylvia

Latest posts

Back