Alan Page valve replacement oper.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alpage

By Noel Page.
My brother Alan had cardiac surgery (Monday) at the Toronto General Hospital. After the heart valve replacement surgery he was taken to the Cardiac Surgery Intensive Care Unit. He has now being transferred out of ICU to the Cardiac ward. His condition is very good. He is expected to remain in hospital for 3 to 4 more days.

Hi Noel,

Thanks for posting an update on Alan's surgery. It sounds like he is having a fantastic recovery! Please pass on my congradualtions to him for a successful surgery. I hope that he has a full and speedy recovery!

I hope he gets up and starts chasing those nurses around the floor at the hospital. The sooner they see him walking, the sooner they will consider letting him go home.

Best wishes to you Alan,

Rob

I've been waiting eagerly to hear of news.
Thank you very much for letting us know.
As Rob said, fantastic!
Keep us posted when you can.:)

Thanks for the update Noel.

Alan, I hope you have a uneventful and speedy recovery. Look forward to hearing how everything went.

Chris

Congratulations Al! It's so wonderful to hear about surgical successes. The worst is behind you, and it's all up to your body and it's healing powers now.

You'll soon be out of the hospital and in your own bed.

Take care and we'll be waiting to hear about your first hand, eye witness view of the whole process.

great news al, in afew weeks you,ll no doubt be bck among us.congrats and be kind to yourself eh....:)

Noel, thank you so much for posting for Alan. So good to hear he's over and done with it and on the road to health again. My prayers for him. Please tell him to keep on keepin on. God bless

Congratulations Al. It's great to have the surgery behind you. Take it easy and you'll soon be feeling great in no time.

Great News!

Great News!

Thankyou for posting Noel ....it's is always good to hear how things have gone ...really good news ..I am so pleased for Alan that things have gone so well ...Please tell Alan we are thinking of him and that we hope he continues to do make a good recovery .
Scottie

Hi Noel,

Thank You for the update on Al! Tell Al "Welcome to the other side of the mountain!" I'm glad to hear he is doing so well. Give him my Congratulations on a successful surgery! Now all he has to do is start that walking, walking walking! I wish you both a HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! :) . Keep us informed!

Noel
Please give Alan my best wishes and congratulation on a successful surgery! Speedy recovery!
-Mara:D

Congratulations, Al. It must be a big relief to have the surgery over with. I'm glad everything went well for you. I'll be looking forward to your up-coming posts to hear how your recovery is going. Best wishes for a full and uneventful recovery.
Ron K

Back home (more or less)

Back home (more or less)

This is Alan. I will actually be staying with my brother for a while, but we dropped by my place to pick up mail and email.

I had surgery Monday the 11th, Medtronic Freestyle 27 mm Aortic Root Bioprosthesis. Plus the ascending aorta was replaced with some fabric. I was scheduled for O.R. at 12, but rolled in the door at about 12:15. They started inserting IV's and other stuff, then they put a mask over my face and told me to breathe deeply. Not sure if that knocked me out or they slipped something in my IV, but next thing I knew I was awake, but with the breathing tube. They took the tube out and I was able to speak. Apparently they had kept me sedated for about six hours after surgery before waking me up, so once I woke up, I was very alert and away. This was about 11:30 pm Monday night.

I spend two days in the ICU because they wanted to monitor my blood pressure and it kept dropping a bit low as they tried to wean me off one of the cardiac drugs. I was on Morphine, therefore no pain to speak of. I sat on the edge of the bed briefly the next morning.

By time I was transferred to the floor Wednesday I was on fluid diet and on Percocet tablets. I think I walked to the desk by Thursday (or maybe even Wednesday) and by Friday I was out in the hall and took a shower. Saturday I had full appetite and all tubes, monitors, etc out. Perhaps if I hadn't stayed in ICU the extra day I would have gone home Sunday, but they needed me to hang around for an Echo Monday, then home.

I never had big problems with pain, by the weekend an occasional Tylenol #3 was find. No other complications. Sometimes I feel quite fit, then I realize just how tired I am with exertion. Enough for now, more later.

Alan

Congratulations, AL!!!

Congratulations, AL!!!

Medtronic Freestyle 27 mm Aortic Root Bioprosthesis...hmmm, sounds like an Olympic Event (which I can see it was!). You're done, you're back and soon you will start to feel much more better!

Good to hear from you.

You'll be tired for a time, but it gets better as your strength returns. I recall the slowness of walking, watching each step at first and soon was getting right along by myself. It's a tough operation, Alan, so don't try to push the recovery too fast. And do take advantage of being with your brother as long as you need. Wishes for you - and prayers. God bless

Congratulations Alan!
Just keep walking and do those breathing exercises!
-Mara

Latest posts

Back