Airport X-ray

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake777

Hello everyone, so glad to be back on the board and how nice it is now, not that it wasn't before but it looks extra great now!

Need some advice on traveling by airplane. When you travel on a plane do you show your card to security at check point for your ONX valve or do you just go through the x-ray machine like everyone else? I read on the airline I'm traveling with that you may want to let security know by showing your card.

How do you all to it, the ones that use airplanes for traveling? Really don't want secondary search, but if I have to. And how does a secondary search work anyway, if anyone knows?

Thanks!

6 days until my one year anniversary for my 2nd open heart surgery!

I never had to show my card. I just told them I could not go through the scanner. They let me go through the other way and then ran that little thing over my body. I am not sure if I can go through it safely, so better safe than sorry. I do know that if you have a pacemaker you are not supposed to go through it. I am sure someone with better information will be along soon! Good luck with your traveling!!!

Scanner

Scanner

I've never showed anyone my card and simply go through the scanner equipment like everyone else. The only airport where I've ever had issues has been Denver International. I usually trip the alarm in Denver and have to submit to being hand searched.

I think the wires in my sternum trip the sensors.

It's less of a hassle for me than one of my teachers encounters when he goes through security with his artificial legs.

-Philip

Blake, I go through like everyone else. I've never had to show my card, but I do casually mention to the security personal who is watching me place my stuff in the basket that I have a mechanical valve and that I might beep. They have gotten a little excited and concerned and have suggested/asked if I would prefer to be scanned with the wand. I've simply reply by saying ''nah, just wanted to let you know that I might beep, that's all"

I never have made the scanner beep.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine and have fun on your trip.

Blake. I have an On-X and go through airport scanners all the time. I have never had an issue. If by chance I have a wand scan somewhere (international) my chest wires beep. no big deal.

I have a St. Jude and fly quite frequently (I'm permanent gold in American Airline's AAdvantage program). I've only set detectors off once since my MVR, and I don't remember the circumstances. Another time -- before shoe removal was required -- I declined to take off shoes because I knew there was no metal in them, and I thought I'd be led to jail PDQ.
Last month I flew with a cat, and as I expected, the 2 small double-bagged bags of cat litter in my carry-on created a stir. From experience, I thought they might. I had packed them so they'd be easily accessible. I chit-chatted with the TSA agent and told him it was probably the cat litter. And sure enough it was. He had to test a sample from each bag with several chemicals -- after asking me if it was clean litter. I smiled and said, "I don't recycle used litter." ;-) After the test, I was free to continue to my gate.
But my heart valve? No prob! I never even mention it to the agents.

Last edited:
I go through the scanner with my two valves, sometimes I set off the alarm but mostly not.

There ought not be any reason NOT to go through the scanner, it isn't am electronic device like a pacemaker.

Thanks you guys for your answers. I do remember going through a scanner at a state building, I guess they are about the same thing. I will probably just go through and see what happens if anything.

Thanks again.

Hi,

I have a mechanical valve and fly several times a year. I've never had a problem at all.

Cheers,
Michelle

I travel between two and three times per week. The TSA doesn't care what set off the WTMD, and aren't interested in your card. My hip always sets off the WTMD, so I point at the penalty box before going through. Very rarely does a screener try to get me to go back through, since I am always prepared. The drill is nothing in your pockets, no wallet, card case, pens, nothing but jewelry (watch, wedding band and medic alert bracelet. Belt off and in the bin, Boarding pass in hand.

Watch your stuff while you wait for the patdown, I have seen idiot pax try to take my computer without looking, so be prepared. Usually, when the screener comes in, I tell them I have a hip, am a frequent traveler and know the routine as well as he does, so we get through it pretty quickly. Staples and the St Jude valve rarely alert the hand held wand, but if they do, it's a pretty quick patdown. I used to ask for clean gloves before the patdown, but that upsets them, so they screw with you and delay you if you ask, so I just settle. . .

I really like the millimeter wave scanning system in Denver! Means I never have to get touched by a screener while they perform their kabuki during Security Theater.

TSA will conduct a "Cavity Search". This will be done because your acting very nervous and have aroused? their suspicions. You should have sat in the cocktail lounge for at least an hour before trying to get through TSA. :D

I really like the millimeter wave scanning system in Denver! Means I never have to get touched by a screener while they perform their kabuki during Security Theater.
Is that the puff scanner -- or the "Let's Walk Across the Stage Wearing a Nightie" scanner?
Seriously, Denver has a pretty efficient system for getting passengers through. I did fly to Denver in late September 2001 -- about 2-3 weeks after 911 -- and security there took forever. But that was under very unusual, stressful circumstances.
And I love the United terminal at DIA. So many food and shopping choices. (Ditto with Minneapolis-St. Paul, and a few other airports.)

I've flown several times this past month and in 8 airports only set off the scanner once. The guard was completely uninterested in seeing my cards. He did use the hand scanner and waved me through when I showed him the top of my scar. I've wondered since then if anyone has received comments after going through a full body scanner.

My first flight with my new valve was when released from the hospital for flight home. (but may not had scanners back then) Have made numerous flights over the years with no problems. Also been through many other scanners on cruise ships, DC, etc. Some airport security look a little confused when we open our medication bag. We always open it, but not the see through plastic, they glance at it, sometimes shake their heard from side to side and say OK. :)
In fact, I've never thought about the valve setting off scanners until this thread.

Marsha, Betty originally bought that one for a cosmetic bag at JC Penny. It's too small for medication for two week cruises. She recently ordered us a new one from Ebags for medication. Besides our normal medication we carry a several other different prescriptions.... just in case.

Back