Air Travel?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faye

I am back at work full time and will soon return to my busy travel schedule. I will be traveling 2 - 3 weeks per month.

Are there any concerns or things I should be aware of or watching for in relation to frequent air travel?

Thanks,
Faye

Co-Arctation Repair 1963
AVR and Ascending Aorta Replacement 9-5-07

Faye,

I did a lot of business travel after my third OHS - similar schedule to yours. I never had any problems (from a health standpoint anyway).;) :D

Flying

Flying

I haven't run into any health issues with flying after AVR surgery. Others may relate different experiences.

The wires in my sternum did set off the alarm on a metal detector at DIA once and the security guys did not like the way I had my meds packed...something about not having the pills in the right sized bag. They grumbled about things, but didn't strip search me or anything. I thought about grabbing my chest and faking some kind of attack, but figured that would just get me in more trouble...polite and apologitic was probably a better choice.

-Philip

Flying

Flying

I've had problems going on planes but it was 12 years ago prior to my 3rd OHS. I was supposed to fly from Brazil to Scotland but an echo showed that there was a rupture on my mitral valve and being on a plane would've been far to risky. I still don't understand exactly why!!??
Now I'm living a similar situation as this valve is deteriorating, but when I went to see the cardio he said that I was stilll able to come to Brazil and go back to Scotland where I now live. I'm going back within 2 weeks and I can't wait to get it over with. To make matters worse, I'm afraid of being on planes so I have to take a few MGs of lorazepan to see me through all the flights. I don't think you should have any problems since you're now healthy, but talk to your doctor anyway, just to be on the safe side. Are these short or long lights?
Good luck!
Debora

i am having aortic valve replacement friday jan 11. my surgeon told me that i could not fly for 3 months, due the fact they enter the lungs for drainage. check with your surgeon / cardiologist.

I have never experienced any problems w/flying after my OHS. After every OHS I had to hop on a plane & fly from Houston to El Paso so thank God there weren't any issues! :)

I did not fly immeidately after my surgery, but my 4 hour van ride home on icey roads was a trip all itself! I think my wife learned to drive from the movie "Star Wars,". I think she just "uses the force" sometimes!!! In the times I have flown since, I only set the detectors off in Charlotte, NC. I told the TSA officer of artificial mechanical heart valves and other metal (I have a Greenfield filter and staples from gastric surgery). He said they would just do a quick pat-down search, started to explain how that worked. I told him I was a former sheriff's deputy and knew about pat-downs, so just let-er rip. Within 15 seconds, I was on the way to catch my plane. I expected to set of the detectors in Phoenix, but no problems any time I have left there. I like the Greensboro, NC airport, smaller port and a bit less busy than Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. Is usually less expensive to fly from there than the more local port. Anyway, enough ramblings from a poor, old, tired fat police dispatcher. Safe flight!

I flew home after two weeks from an AVR and MVR at CCF, cleveland to FL however now I am faceing the same issue coming from FL and going back to CCF or Boston on 2-3 liters of O2 and alot less strength. It is gong to be tough. Anybody else had this situation, hints?

I have a mechanical aortic valve and a pacemaker and I flew from Australia to England and back last year. I found it a real exercise in endurance, and by the end of it I was feeling a LOT of ectopic beats, but I had no real ill effects.

I told the security staff that I had a pacemaker (and I wore a singlet through security to make my scars visible) and I was patted down by nice lady security guards. No major issues, everyone was very good to me. I went via Singapore.

Keep hydrated

Keep hydrated

I try to stay hydrated while flying and try to do the exercises they sometimes show by video on long and/or international flights and otherwise I move my feet a lot.

Once my sternum wires evidently set a metal detector off--it was the only metal on (or in :rolleyes: ) me anyway.

My husband is a private pilot now and the highest I've gone with him is 8500 feet so added oxygen hasn't been an issue yet but hydration is a problem on a little plane. It's not like I can ask him to pull over at the next Starbucks so I can use the washroom and have another latte...;)

Travel Tips

Travel Tips

Thank you for the tips and advice!

I wondered if the sternum wires would set off the "pat down" alarm :rolleyes: It sounds like they might, depending on the airport.

I always feel a little dehydrated after a flight so I'll have to be vigilant about drinking water and remember to move around once in a while!

Thanks again!
Faye

Latest posts

Back