Age of Mechanical Valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Projohta

Hey everyone,

was just wondering if some of you mechanical valve patients wouldn’t mind posting the age you got your surgery and your age now! Just for some positive reinforcement for our younger folks!

:)
Happy Thanksgiving

I’m 48 and as of two days ago, I’ve spent 3 decades with St. Jude ticking away. I had my first surgery when I was 17. Turned 18 in the hospital. I’ve been taking warfarin ever since and home testing for the last 10 years or so.

My second surgery was 11 years ago and was not due to any fault with the original valve but rather I had an aortic aneurysm that required repair.

There are a few of us 30 plus years ticking on this site. At least one has been at it over 50 years.

And Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

I still have my original mechanical (ball-in-cage) aortic valve that was implanted in 1967, when I was 31. In a couple of months, I will be 85 years old........and the valve, at 53+ years old, continues to work although, at my age, other things are breaking down. The Starr-Edwards "ball-in-cage" valve was the first commercially available valve in 1961and was produced by Edwards Lifesciences, with little change until 2007 when it was discontinued. Since my valve was one of the first implanted valves, I doubt there are any older than mine still clickin'..........but you never know;). I sure didn't figure mine would last this long.........neither did any of my doctors.

I am turning 71. First surgery at 7 was a repair. Second surgery in my early fifties. A St Judes mechanical valve . Have been doing very well.

I think you get the gold ring. Your first heart surgery was in 1956?......THAT goes back to a time before "heart-lung" machines were invented and heart surgery was, very much, in its infancy.(y):love:

I’m a relative newcomer compared to most here. I got my St Jude mitral valve 25 months ago at the age of 56.

No issues post surgery and life is totally normal now. Sure I’m taking warfarin, but it’s a non-event and just part of my new normal.

Surgery at 41 (just shy of 42). It’s been 5.5 years for my st Jude aortic mechanical valve conduit (valve with graft, which replaced part of my aorta due to a sinus of valsalva aneurysm). I’m 47 now.

I received a St. Jude mechanical valve in the mitral position when I was 53 after contracting endocarditis from a teeth cleaning. I am now 62, self testing INR weekly with over 90% accuracy and living a normal and healthy lifestyle. I run 3x a week and lift weights (not super heavy) 2x a week. Just recently stopped swimming for the winter and am replacing with biking. Some issues with skipped heart beats but not bad enough yet to need a pacemaker and no signs of AFIB.

Hi and hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

I had aortic repair at age 20 and then AVR/aneurysm repair at age 42. My valve's been doing great for almost 22 years, but a recent echo showed an increased gradient and signs that it might be deteriorating. Having a TEE soon. Ugh. Hate them things. : )

Take care and best of luck.

I had my aortic valve replaced along with a ascending aortic aneurysm fix (dacron) in March of 2011 at the age of 36. I have had no issues whatsoever with the valve or the sleeve since that time, and have survived a move to Australia and back 7 years later, now living in Michigan. I was quite worried about warfarin treatment and management before the surgery, but since that time have become a professional self tester and self manager. Coming up on 10 years for me!

I think that, by now, your concerns about a mechanical valve have pretty much been eased.

I got my St. Jude valve 29 years ago (a relative newby, compared to some others), and have no problem with the valve. I've had some other cardiac issues -- arrhythmias, got a stent, had an ablation -- but none are related to the valve.
(I think I may have gotten my maternal grandfather's heart - he was dead before I was born, but a coronary apparently did him in).

Latest posts

Back