After your surgery, what are some of the things that you found out that surprised you

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was surprised that all the tubes didn't really bother me as I was waking up. I was begging for ice chips also. I think I was blowing kisses to the nurse with the ice chips. That's how desperately thirsty I was. I was surprised I gained 9 lbs. A day after surgery as I was just sitting around, I was surprised how scary it looks to see people come into the ICU right after surgery. And I asked my wife, did I look like that? I was surprised the hospital food tasted as good as it did. I definitely didn't lose my appetite.

I was surprised the first sensation was having to urinate badly when I came around. By bladder felt like the Hindenburg. Of course you can't talk with than tube in your mouth. They finally figured out the cath balloon was over inflated.

I was shocked that on my first day after surgery they had me sitting up in a chair for 14 hours.

I was surprised about how I only had one drainage tube, it felt unpleasant when it was removed but I felt much better afterwards, the pace maker wires getting removed were more painful to be removed than the tube. I wouldve preferred the fillet a lot longer because it's hard to wipe afterwards. I'm surprised at how delicious ice chips were. My tastes have changed a lot to where I'm not sure what foods I like anymore. I was surprised to need a transfusion two days post op but felt a million times better after. I had excruciating acid reflux for a few days. Things I were expecting that didn't happen: more than one drainage tube, pain with folley removal, liquid restriction, post surgery heparin shots, support hose, breathing problems.

I also remember during being medicated during pre-op saying stupid things like telling the surgeon he has the same sneakers as me. Which he did, and being awake enough upon entering the surgery room to notice and comment on the big*** 46" flat screen. That was the last thing I remembered.

that i'd forgotten how to pee and i really had to dig back into my brain and be like, "THINK! what do you do to pee?"

I was surprised at how much Toradal hurts going in unless its injected very slowly.
And the BM? not easy......... note to self (eat a light meal the day before surgery)
The temporary Pacer.
The drain tubes.
The heartburn.
Getting me on my feet the next morning for a chest xray.
How little energy I had after the surgery.

The utter weakness/exhaustion still amazes me when I think back but it is just as surprising how fast we can regain that energy with the walking and movement they urge us to do.

I was surprised at how long the recovery process was for me!
How relaxed I was (before any meds) as the anesthesiologist wheeled me into the OR!!
How AWFUL the ventilator tube was! Made me feel like I was choking and suffocating at the same time.
How many times the nurses had to take blood! My God, my hands and arms were almost one large bruise!
I am REALLY surprised at just how long I've had to deal with this pericarditis!!!
I am surprised to find out just how strong mentally, physcially and emotionally I REALLY AM!

Oh yes, how could I have forgotten?! I was REALLY, REALLY surprised at just how forceful and loud my heartbeat was, after I came home!!! Thank God it calmed down.

I was surprised to hear that I had two cases of internal bleeding that required two trips to the "OR" the same day of my valve replacement. I believe I was out of "OR" before noon with my valve replacement, back in "OR" late in the afternoon, and back again shortly before midnight. My wife was a basket case when I went in for another round of surgery shortly before midnight.

I was surprised to know that I was completely out of it for almost 30 hours.

I was surprised to hear that I needed 7 pints of blood during my 3 episodes in "OR".

I was surprised that I was constipated for 6 days and was instructed not to push when the moment finally presented itself.

I was surprised to learn that the nurses would need to reinsert the Foley catheter if I didn't empty my bladder within an hour or two after it's removal. The warm water trick worked! There was no way I was going to have that catheter inserted while awake.

I was surprised that my son changed some of his eating habits after he saw me in cardic ICU.

I was awake when I was rolled into the "OR", it didn't look like any "OR" that I had seen on TV.

I was surprised that I put on almost 20lbs of water weight after surgery and that I thought someone had stolen my ankles.

I was surprised that I gained 20 pounds of fluid weight during and after the surgery. Now 3 weeks after the surgery I am still 6 pounds up from where I began. I was also surprised at how quickly I improved in the week after surgery, and now how slowly I'm improving in the 2nd and 3rd week post surgery.

Doug

Great thread....I was surprised:

to hear someone tell me that he would remove the breathing tube if I would just wake up and open my eyes.
that it was Sunday because the surgery was on Friday.
that I was in the pediatric ward! I had the place to myself, for the most part. I had one neighbor during that week and he went home first.
that I was so nauseous. I vomited for days on end. I left the hospital weighing 6 lbs less than when I was admitted a week earlier. I was surprised to learn that the vomiting started in the CICU. Apparently I don't do so well with drugs :)
that my back was so incredibly sore. I thought the pain would be in my chest. I had a very kind nurse that came in and rubbed my back during the middle of the night. I must say, it didn't help the pain, but it sure did help the spirit. She also brought me popsicles because I basically refused all food. I was just too nauseous.

And then, after about a week at home, I was surprised at how wonderful I felt. A whole new me:)

Things that surprised me...
1) That ice chips were so amazing
2) The Foley catheter didn't bother me one bit
3) My husband combed my hair, brushed my teeth, gave me mouthwash and washed my face about 24 hours after my surgery, while I was sitting in a chair.
4) I remember the OR (I requested to be able to remember it, my anesthesiologist did a GREAT job)
5) How good it felt to walk. I felt better walking than I did sitting or lying in bed.
6) That I went home with TED stockings but never wore them in the hospital.
7) That I can only hear my valve a tiny bit very occasionally
8) I got the nicest room in the hospital. It was HUGE! Had a GREAT view. It was awesome.
9) How a couple nurses became my friends after spending a few days with them.

I remember the ice chips were the best thing in the world to me the first night - then ice water for the folloiwng 10 days. No pop or other beverage would do. ONly fruit as in the fruit cup tasted even decent. Nothing else tasted right. I was not able to hardly walk for 8 days due to being dizzy. I did not take pain meds most of the time, guess it is because I was not moving much. I was in a-fib most of the time.

I am surprised at almost 5 weeks post op that I can still not walk without being dizzy. The doctor is stopping 1/2 of the atenlol since I think that is causing the problem. I will take it only at night, then soon none at all.

I was surprised to spend 3 days in our local hopsital with a-fib.

Everyone walks so much and I can hardly get thru the house. So I see the cardiologist on Tues and hope things get straightened out soon. I miss not being active. I still find most food does not taste right.

I am surprised that food still taste bad and that I basically have no pain. I had the minimally invasive surgery with about a 4 inch incision. I think it might be more painful in the begining, but gives you a more stable chest early on.

Probably more surprises will come - I hope not too many.

Pat

Pat,

I couldve wrote what you just did except I didn't start a-fib until 3 weeks. I think the atenenol takes time to not feel dizzy and fatigued. When I was first diagnosed with CHF last February they put me on that and I'd say it took over a month before I could get through a day without a three hour nap. Now they have me on sotalol which I find even worse. It lowered my normally resting heart rate of 90 to 50ish and whenever I go under 60 which is often I get a PVC or PAC every third beat. I don't walk much either. It's too hot and I'm afraid to go by myself because of dizziness. Oh but I did get accustomed to atenonol and I hope you do too. It's not bad when you get used to it.

Oh and I miss those Cleveland clinic ice chips, and what did I say about those fruit cups. My tastes have changed significantly. Sugar and salt now leave me with horrible aftertaste, I don't know what I like anymore because so many things taste weird. Right now I'm addicted to luigis Italian ice and eggo nutragrain waffles, hold the syrup.

Hi Michelle

We sound like a couple of sad sacks at this point. Everyone else is out walking and we are being dizzy. I hope not taking atenlol during the day will help me some. I won't know until I get thru the next few days. I had a couple really good days and even drove the backroad to see my Mom. No pain. I won't drive when I am dizzy. Cleveland said I could drive at 4 weeks, but I have to get rid of the dizzies. I throw out more food. 2 days ago was the first time I made it to the grocery store using the electric cart. I bought a bunch and nothing seems to taste right yet. Guess that will change with time. I have to say - life is quite interesting at this point. I just keep waiting for things to get better -I know they will. I can feed all 9 dogs and let them in and out. Grab a bit to eat from the kitchen - but that's about it. Love that Lazy Boy Chair! Next year at this time - we will look back and laugh at it all - I hope!!!! LOL It has cooled off here, so it would be nice to walk outside. Have fun! Pat

- I was surprised how alert and painfree I was when I woke up! No tube in throat either!
- I was surprised my insuline went up due to the shock the body went into
- I was surprised to know that it was the NP who glued my incision!
- I was surprised I stayed 10 days in the hospital, but I liked it...it was better than being home and anxious!
- I was gladly surprised I was able to sleep on my side the first night
- I was gladly surprised when I went home, I was able to manage well :)
- I was surprised that anxiety and fears before surgery just dissipated so quickly.:)

Last edited:
Back