After your surgery, what are some of the things that you found out that surprised you

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

Keithl

So I am 3 weeks post op and honestly shocked at how little pain I was in. The first week I had more back and neck pain than chest pain due to how they position you during surgery. Think Alien scene were it bursts out of stomach and that is close to how they position you is what I was told.

Some light headedness and mild dizziness, but I attribute that to the damn Beta blockers they have me on as my pressure is very low and it has side effects as well. I suspect I will transition back to Losartan in a few weeks.

The lack of a good night sleep is probably my biggest complaint so far. Of course a sneeze or coughs feels like th alien is bursting out, but otherwise I feel extremely fortunate so far. Truly amazed at modern medical technology.

Paleowoman

VR.org Supporter
Think Alien scene were it bursts out of stomach and that is close to how they position you is what I was told.
Well that what I imagined too, both prior to surgery and for a few years after, until last year there was a TV programme here in the UK of a live aortic valve replacement, every minute of it was shown, and no, the ribs are not spread quite like in Alien, it's much less dramatic ! There was a retractor placed on either side of the sternal inner edges after it had been cut - cut very quickly with a rotary type saw - the retractor pulled apart the sternum just enough for the surgeon to gain access to the heart. That would, of course, have placed strain on the rib cage would have an affect on the rib cage all the way round to the back, but the patient's body was not bent or contorted in any way during surgery, they was just lying fat on the operating table. The strangest part was near the end of surgery when the heart was "de-aired" - to do this the surgeon rocked the patient gently from side to side to dislodge air bubbles !

Keithl

I jokingly told the surgeon (and was actually serious) I would like them to video my surgery. He obviously did not take the bait. I was told they pin your shoulders back, tilt you had back a bit and raise your your mid section to give them better access and view. Either way most of that pain was gone in about a week. I was mostly off pain meds in 3-4 days and after that usually only took them before bed or first am to help sleep or deal with back pain when waking up. Other than an occasional Tylenol int he last week I have not had any pain meds in a week. Still amazed at what can be done, and how well the human body copes and recovers.

Latest posts