After released from hospital, if you had help, how long was helper off work?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyBL

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi, Valve Replacement folks! On January 19th, I will have my aorta repaired, and will probably the valve replaced, as well. My spouse has several weeks of leave time accrued from work. I understand that no one can predict what will happen, but how long would you advise him to take off? Thanks in advance.

a lot depends on you and how strong you were before the surgery ... but I'd say about 2 weeks is a good starting point. Maybe less ... you'll know when you know :)

My daughter took off a full week then resumed her flight attendant schedule of being gone 3-4 days at a time. My son works within a 45-minute drive to my house and I had friends available in case of an emergency.

I think my Mom came by the first couple days but my wife never took off from her part time job. I was getting around well when I came home but it is different for everyone and your health going into surgery is definitely a factor.

I was very fit and strong before surgery but that didn't mean a thing when it came to recovery. It all depends on how you are recovering, if there are any problems or complications and so on. There really is no way to predict how long you might need someone to help. However, you probably wouldn't need someone 24/7 for very long. As long as someone is coming home each day after work and as long as you can get hold of them easily so that if there were some eventuality that you needed them to take you to the doctor's or the cardio, then that should be all right.

I had to do everything my self on release from hospital 5 days after surgery. As others have said it depends on the condition before surgery, I was able to run several kilometres the day before surgery which I thought was rather surreal at the time, however my second surgery was caused by aneurysm growth rather than valve failure, I had a valve redo at the same time to avoid another surgery for the valve in 3-4 years time. If your in good condition going into surgery and not elderly you should expect to recover fairly quickly.

My wife took off 6 weeks family leave. I didn't need help the whole time but it was nice having company since I couldn't drive. By the time she went back she was ready to get away from me and I didn't mind the solitude-ha.

AmyBL;n861427 said:
Hi, Valve Replacement folks! On January 19th, I will have my aorta repaired, and will probably the valve replaced, as well. My spouse has several weeks of leave time accrued from work. I understand that no one can predict what will happen, but how long would you advise him to take off? Thanks in advance.
Really, other than cooking a couple of meals a day that is all you will need help with. I am single and did just fine, a neighbor woman made me some meals, and I walked my dog 4 or 5 times a day. Cooking is a no go for about a month, you use too many upper body muscles.

Cldlhd has a good point about the driving. I didn't go out much and my daughter would shop when she was home (she lives with me) so I was OK for the six weeks I couldn't drive. If you hope to be out and about more during recovery, having someone to drive you around may be more of a priority for you than it was for me.

My mom stayed at my house for the first week or so. I could get around ok but there were simple things I couldn't do. I literally couldn't open the refrigerator door, it hurt my chest to pull that hard! Also my surgeon knew I lived alone so they arranged a nurse to come check on my and take my INR a couple times a week. And there was also a physical therapist who would come to the house a few times a week to get walk with me and monitor my progress. Both the nurse and therapist were covered by insurance, I guess because of my living situation.

My husband was a professional and not able to simply leave his office. We have a good friend who is a health care provider (what she does for work) and my husband made arrangements for her to be with me after both my OHS. After the first surgery, she came to help me for about a week. When I realized I was making her lunch, was telling her I was fine and didn't need help and only depended upon her to be available should I need her when I showered. After a week, we agreed she would stop coming. My DH was home every evening/night with me.

Second surgery was four years later and same circumstance. Our friend came my first day home when DH had to go to his office. She came second day and after the third day, I knew I was doing fine on my own. I don't remember exactly but am sure she wasn't with me a full week.

I was able to make easy, fast meals and DH helped where necessary. I was quite independent and though I could not drive for about 6 or so weeks the first time, I didn't drive as soon as my cardiologist said I could as I didn't think I was ready. The second time, my doctor cleared me at about 2 weeks and I did short, local rides for small errands.

Everyone is different and each surgery for each of us is different. We all heal at our own pace. Some are in better health going into surgery than others. There is no way to know in advance how much help you will need for how long.

Latest posts

Back