After all these years.......a new problem

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dick0236

Eat the elephant one bite at a time
Supporting Member
After living successfully with my old mechanical valve for over 51 years I have developed a new, significant, issue......an Aortic Aneurysm currently measuring 5.8 cm. I just left an appointment with a trusted surgeon where we discussed, candidly, the "risk vs reward" of this type of major surgery on an 82 (almost 83) year old. I decided that the "risk vs reward" does not warrant surgical intervention given my age and general health..........we all get old eventually.:):)

Well Dick, that's heavy news.

I understand your analysis and assume that part of this will be to monitor the aneurysm at intervals into the future and reassess that ratio as time goes on.

I wish you luck in this that the growth rate flattens out. Either way I see your reasoning and it's a credit to your strong character that you face it in such a logical stoic way. I (probably like you) have seen enough people in your age group not come back from surgery well.

Tough decisions.

Best Wishes

Sorry to hear that. Times like this, one wishes there was an easier, perhaps shorter term fix. Sleeve insert or something. Given your approach, I’m not sure what monitoring would do, aside from add stress. I suppose one would just have to continue doing what they’ve been doing and try not to dwell on it.

So here’s to continued good health. All the best, Dick. I hope the aneurysm stalls here for you.

Add me to the list of long-term friends who are saddened to hear your news, Dick. I understand your feelings and logic, and hope that it remains stable for a long time. (You did not indicate how long it has taken to get to this size, so I can't make any guesses there.)

I also agree that it makes sense to monitor the situation, as you can then re-assess your position if or when things progress. In the meantime, I wish you peace and health, so that you can stay with us as long as you want.

Dick that’s certainly not good news, I can understand your wait and watch approach given your age.
I am curious how it was discovered given that at 5.8cm it would have taken quite a while to develop.
Is the aneurysm in the ascending aorta or the abdominal aorta?
My own experience with an aneurysm was it stayed at the 4.7cm that it was when discovered at the time of my first surgery for almost 6 years and then progressed to 5.5cm with a year.
Hopefully your will remain stable for years also.

Dick, so sorry to learn of this issue. Very tough decision but I understand where you are coming from. I know you will keep us posted. Sending positive energy your way.

Hugs,
Michele

Dick, this is certainly not the news you were hoping to get. Wishing you peace with your decision and please keep us posted. You have defied the odds before, so perhaps, this aneurysm 'will mind its own business' so you can continue on with your life. :) Thinking of you....

Good luck Dick. I'd make the same choice. But for now, ignore the aneurysm and live life to the fullest, because in the immortal words of Elvis "It's now or never." :)

Just seeing this - sorry to read it. Hoping it will continue to be stable for many years to come.

I would like to join the others here in wishing you the best. Coming to terms with our mortality is probably one of the hardest things. Take care.

You may be considered too old for a big surgery, Dick, but I’ll be hoping your age will be a big positive in stilling or slowing the progress of this issue.
The very best of health to you for the days ahead.

Latest posts

Back