af

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
hiya all,i had my avr op 7 month ago,i had 2 go the op table twice as i had a bleed,then got chest infec ,i had a tissue valve fitted then 2 weeks later went into af, anyways there put me on aniodorone think thats how its spelt lol,was on it for 2 month ,and my af went :), am feelin great at the moment bu once or twice i go into af for say 20 secs then it goes into sr ,anybody else had this? thanks neil

Hi Neil.

Afib is quite common and your certainly not alone. I would caution you to suggest to your care providers to get you off Amiodarone if at all possible and use something else. Most Doctors use it as a first drug of choice when it's meant to be the last drug of choice when all others have been tried and failed. That stuff messes up your liver and lungs over a long period.

cheers ross,i was only on amiodarone for 2 month then there took me of it, i came off in may,so been off it 5 month,af really freaks me out,but then am just a big baby lol,so can it keep coming back now and again? as i said it doesnt last for long and have only had it twice to my knowledge and i go back into sr

Can't help you on your questions Neil
but wanted to say hello and welcome
Wishing you the best with everything.

zipper2 (DEB)

Hey Neil,
First of all, you are not a big baby, A-fib is scary... I had A-fib for a bit after surgery and was placed on amioderone. I was taken off it, after my insistence, after a month. I have not experienced any side affects from being on it, nor have I had A-fib again. What actually worked for my A-fib was the Dr.'s removing fluid from my lung. It has been in sinus ever since. It is a scary thing, and I understand the fear. I would just make sure to stay in touch with your cardio. They will know how to treat it properly. I wish I had more insight for you. It will be ok.

~Erica

Neil I have a friend who is in chronic afib and has been for about 2 years now. He's been cardioverted so many times that frankly, I'm surprised they haven't killed him. At least 15times now and I think that's on the conservative side. They had him on Amiodarone for years until his liver and lungs showed signs of trouble, then they took him off and tried other things. Today, he's back on Amiodarone. It's the only thing that works for him and it's basically killing him.

I think you might want to see if your cardiologist might not refer you to an electophysicist if it continues to be a problem. 7 months out is still sort of early, but it's close to the 12 month line where it probably is going to keep being a problem.

Neil, ey up lad, welcome and greetings from along the M62. My Mum and Dad were Hull folk, still have quite a lot of relatives there. :) Thankfully AF isn't on my long list of cardiac experiences, so not much to offer on it I'm afraid.

thanks for your replys,it seems theres a lot of folks who have it far worse than me,as i say only had it twice in the 5 month ive been off the medication for it,and it only lasted 15 to 20 sec, my gp said it can come back now and again for upto 6 month, and the main thing is it goes straight back into sr,still freaky though lol,bonzo nice to hear from a fellow yorkie,

Back