Advice please!Sibbling to have possible AVR b/o AA,Ross procedure in '96

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siblinggirl56

My younger sib, age 52 now, had the Ross done in 1996, for BAV. This past year discovered has approx. 6.7cm AA and cath last Friday showed that the valve also is compromised. He is scheduled for surgery 11/05 and we are to meet with the surgeon this Tuesday for all the particulars. I was wondering if I could get advice of any questions to ask? I worked CCU-CSU (RN) for years before motherhood but we did not not do many valves while I was there. He is, of course, nervous and very scared but from reading some posts on here feel much more positive. No other health issues other than this.
Thank you!!
Siblinggirl56

Sibling,
Check out the pre-surgery forum and especially the sticky about Pre-Surgery Questions for the surgeon for some idea of what to ask. Mostly your sib should have a list of questions that are important to him.

Pre-Surgery Questions Sticky
Best,
John

Brother had surgery Friday - 12 hours by Dr. Deeb at U of M(what a wonderful surgeon and person !!!!!!!) - had to have a mechanical valve as the annulus measured at 33 and the smallest tissue valve was like 29! The TAA was 7.0 cm and the heart looked like a big blob of tissue so we had a long day of worry and they had to call us back from lunch to consult about the valve problem....he is recovering nicely tho he does not think so! It sure is a rough road! Lines are out, chest tubes just came out and pacer wires to follow.....now the work to rehab and we are so amazed with how brilliantly the surgeon and team worked on him and how far he has come!!!!!! Bless all who have encouraged us!!
Jackie and her brother

Jackie,
How good to hear your brother is doing well. Hopefully he'll continue a bump free recovery. Sleep, eat, breathe and walk...... that will be his routine for early recovery. The walking as per doctor's instructoins and breathing spirometer make huge difference. Please let us know how he is progressing.

Jackie,
Thank you for the update on your brother. Sending positive thoughts and wishes for a smooth and bump free recovery. I hope you get some rest. :)

Jackie,
Great! Good to know that you had a competent and personable surgeon. Try to find your brother something that he likes to eat and feed him lots of it as he recovers. The hard part is over, now for a little time and healing.
Take care,
John

Back