ADHD Meds and BAV. Need advice.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LG Demi

Hi all. I am a mid 20s female. I am overall healthy. I am a very good weight. I have a good and clean diet. I don’t smoke, and drink only occasionally. I don’t take any caffeine (or any stimulants for that matter) ever. The only issue I have is my *mild* regurgitation from my aortic valve because I was born with it being bicuspid. I also have severe ADD, so medication for it will drastically help me in every way possible.

Now, my psych is well aware of my condition, but prescribed me with a small dose of Vyvanse, which is a stimulant. And I know, we should avoid all stimulants, but how bad could taking it for me be, when I’m really healthy? My cardiologist is a total POS and never got back to me when I asked him about it, so I asked another cardiologist and I’m waiting to hear back but I wanted to know if anyone has any negative/positive experiences on stimulants like adderall, vyvanse and focalin.

Heart rhythm would be the main concern with stimulants I would guess. So if your BAV is the kind that comes with plenty of palpitations, definitely talk to your medical team. I imagine they would ease in to your dosing and watch for any changes. I don’t know that there’s a definitive “no” on such meds. I drink coffee and have no trouble with it. I don’t recall ever being told explicitly to avoid all stimulants either.

Hi all. I am a mid 20s female. I am overall healthy. I am a very good weight. I have a good and clean diet. I don’t smoke, and drink only occasionally. I don’t take any caffeine (or any stimulants for that matter) ever. The only issue I have is my *mild* regurgitation from my aortic valve because I was born with it being bicuspid. I also have severe ADD, so medication for it will drastically help me in every way possible.

Now, my psych is well aware of my condition, but prescribed me with a small dose of Vyvanse, which is a stimulant. And I know, we should avoid all stimulants, but how bad could taking it for me be, when I’m really healthy? My cardiologist is a total POS and never got back to me when I asked him about it, so I asked another cardiologist and I’m waiting to hear back but I wanted to know if anyone has any negative/positive experiences on stimulants like adderall, vyvanse and focalin.
All I know is I had a BAV and I could never stand novocaine or coffee or any stimulant.

I had a BAV and was not told to cut down or cut out stimulants. I drank 3 cups a coffee a day plus one soda. Don't' ask the cardio if stimulants are good or bad, ask them about the specific drug your psych wants to prescribe. I usually leave this type of question with the cardio's nurse and they call me back. The most I've had to do was an INR test to see if there was an effect with some antibiotics.

Latest posts

Back