Adderall

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrockTN

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi … long time since posting here.

Before my AVR replacement in Dec 2013, I was taking Adderall for ADHD. I never really picked it back up & never really inquired about restarting it.

I’m thinking of going that route again to see if it’s feasible. Any advice or experience from anyone? Thanks!

Reactions: Eva
AVR in April, back to Ritalin mid July. Starting up again was an experience. Took my body a while to get used to it. I have a home BP machine, so I watch it. But Ritalin is better than self dosing with coffee. And boy it makes a difference for me.
My Doctor trusts me enough to be the responsible adult. Staying on top of my readings, making adjustments to time and size of doses. I use the short acting version. Faster and easier to come down if it's too much. Easier to fine tune the dosing. Start slow, with a lot less than your old dose. My fist day back was very productive but I didn't sleep that night. Good luck.

AVR in April, back to Ritalin mid July. Starting up again was an experience. Took my body a while to get used to it. I have a home BP machine, so I watch it. But Ritalin is better than self dosing with coffee. And boy it makes a difference for me.
My Doctor trusts me enough to be the responsible adult. Staying on top of my readings, making adjustments to time and size of doses. I use the short acting version. Faster and easier to come down if it's too much. Easier to fine tune the dosing. Start slow, with a lot less than your old dose. My fist day back was very productive but I didn't sleep that night. Good luck.
I was drinking a lot of whiskey to try & reign in my brain.

Don't take amphetamines unless you have to. If your ADHD was manageable w/o it since 2013, examine why you want to take it now.
I would not go back!
After my surgery I could not concentrate, could not read a book without re-reading previous pages, could not plan nor think right, and was distracted most of the time!
I saw a psychiatrist two years later who tried on me different kinds of amphetamines as they all worked well at start and stopped being effective after a while.
Yes, Adderall worked… it helped me to exercise, gave me energy, improved my thinking
BUT
It also affected my heart. (This could be only me and only my heart). But what I’m trying to say is that my mind is much back to normal despite that I’m 13 years older since my surgery: I enjoy reading books, I can concentrate, plan and think again sharply and on my own!
Your heart is healthier now after the surgery and blood is circulating well to your brain! Try to stay off it, especially with you BP. In my case, I had low BP then.
Note: My regular cardio said it was ok to take them then! Another prestigious cardio in a different area encouraged me to stop them to save my heart since the left atrium (which healed after my surgery), started to slowly re-dilate and my two healthy valves started leaking (trivial/Mild).
I stopped taking them and I’m glad I did.
Good luck. It’s your decision, your life, your heart!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back