Active 55-year-old UK farmer's 25 year mechanical

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You Brits' have some very good surgeons who have "fixed" some folks for a very long time.....the current Guinness "artificial single valve record holder" is an English lady who got her valve in 1969....that's a very long time ago. In August, 2017, when my valve turns 50, I will apply for this record......I only hope enough of my medical records still exist to authenticate my record....the majority of my medical records have long since been "purged" from my medical files.......I guess nobody expected a valve would last this long LOL. The "Farmer" is another example of "it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin".

great story and just had a look on the site, some good reading and a good mixture of stories of people with mech and tissue, 50years wow dick now that is special

Agian;n872723 said:
We bow to our Sensei. Seaton says he'll be rooting for him.
How are you bru?

Great actually, went for a hunt with my mate with one leg and his 16 year old nephew wed, thurs fri, tried to find an easy deer out of the 28 seen for my one legged mate to shoot but they were all out of his abilities

shot 3 hinds (doe's) with his nephew on thurs down the bottom of this big valley we walked down into, couple of ks walk up back to the top , don't get me wrong I was buggered but the 16 year old was blowing has cacker and kept complaining he was going to pass out from exhaustion, I told him to harden up a few times and left him laying there recovering while I ticked onward, first real big steep walk like that I've done since op so real good and I think shows up how bad it was beforehand as something like that prior AVR would have near killed me :)

A bit off topic but it makes me realise how much better I am !! Just like mike

dick0236;n872709 said:
You Brits' have some very good surgeons who have "fixed" some folks for a very long time.....the current Guinness "artificial single valve record holder" is an English lady who got her valve in 1969....that's a very long time ago. In August, 2017, when my valve turns 50, I will apply for this record......I only hope enough of my medical records still exist to authenticate my record....the majority of my medical records have long since been "purged" from my medical files.......I guess nobody expected a valve would last this long LOL. The "Farmer" is another example of "it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin".

Not long to go now Dick, I'm feeling quite excited for you down here !!

dick0236;n878181 said:
Thanks for the "atta boy".....I'm still planning on setting a high (but achievable) bar for a bunch of you folks who are chasing me.

well I dunno mate, the bar is set (as I see it) for a single surgery with a mechanical that is unreplaced.

On here I'd say that Superman is your closest follower in that respect, but he'd had a reset on dates due to an Aneurysm driven valve replacement.

I'm nowhere near your status as my OHS at 28 was a homograft and I didn't get a mechanical till my 3rd OHS at 48, so you have a 17 year lead on me there mate. None the less I'll be giving it a shot mate.

I reckon you're one of the lucky ones because except for the scarlet fever attacking your valve you were otherwise healthy. So for us congenital BAV'ers (statistically more prone to aneurysm) you are advantaged...

Nocturne the date is the 17th (the rest is available in Dicks Bio)

pellicle;n878189 said:
I reckon you're one of the lucky ones because except for the scarlet fever attacking your valve you were otherwise healthy. So for us congenital BAV'ers (statistically more prone to aneurysm) you are advantaged...

Hmm... Now THERE'S an interesting statement... It's almost like Pellicle is saying that some causes of AVS are worse than others.

Looking forward to the 17th! Had not realized that Dick was a contender for Guinness. Which... is also interesting.

Nocturne;n878199 said:
Hmm... Now THERE'S an interesting statement... It's almost like Pellicle is saying that some causes of AVS are worse than others.

I am exactly saying that some causes lead to greater risk of additional surgery down the path.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21802748
CONCLUSION:

The majority of patients with bicuspid aortic valve disease exhibit ascending aortic aneurysm in

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1767857/

PATHOLOGY OF THE AORTIC MEDIA

The association of bicuspid aortic valve with aortic medial abnormalities has been known for decades and has been confirmed in many reports.

BAV is congenital and Is not the only cause of stenosis.

This is exactly why I ask younger people asking about choosing a valve additional questions.

I expect scarlet fever is less common today than it was once...

Actually, I tend to agree with Pellicle. I, apparently, had a first grade schoolmate sneeze on me, or I took a bite out of his lunch sandwich and I ended up with a strep infection (scarlet or rheumatic fever)....and since there where no anti-biotics in those days to fight such infections I suffered serious heart valve damage......without other cardiovascular damage. Fortunately, today we have the surgeries and medications to fix the problems that used to prematurely end the lives of many otherwise health people. I count my blessings that I have been able to live a long active life post surgery.

My dads AVR was from rheumatic fever as a child also, he's had near 35 years on one valve, mine was congenital

so we've got one of each flavor :)

Isn't it something like two thirds of BAVs develop aneurysm.. even after AVR

dick0236;n878202 said:
Actually, I tend to agree with Pellicle.

Oh, I agree with what he is saying here too! I'm just surprised to see him saying it, considering some of the opinions he's expressed in the past.

Latest posts

Back