Acid Reflux....indegestion

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mb

Hello all!

I have a question...I know alot of folks have indigestion/acid reflux before surgery. Does everyone have it afterwards as well?

My husband has been taking meds since last April. He is pretty careful.doesn't eat really large meals, or late in the evening. Last night though, it was back to the ten pillows, propped up, took more meds, etc. This is hard to figure out if it is indigestion/acid reflux, or if he has a problem.

You know, what has been really enlightening for me, is that it seems it is a day to day situation both pre and post surgery. It seems like I just worry about a different thing every couple of days. Oh well.

Marybeth

It will be two years in April that I had my

It will be two years in April that I had my

AV replaced. Last night I ate before bedtime a cheese steak sandwich and some vanilla pudding.

About 10 minutes after lights out lying on my back I felt really 'uncomfortable', a sense of 'doom', and I thought my heart was going haywire.

It seemed that it might be indigestion, as a gaseous stomach so I took two Gas-X and within an hour the episode had passed.

My guess is even if I had never had a faulty heart valve replaced, a perfect heart, I'd still have had the same gaseous reaction to the combination of eating: meat, cheese, lettuce, mayonnaise, onion salt, bread, and then top it off with a cup of vanilla pudding.

As I look back on other 'reactions' that could have mimicked heart invovement post op, none of them were related to the surgery.

But the next time I have indigestion, I'm STILL going to think Heart first! It's only natural to consider and hopefully, rule it out
first.

Hi Marybeth

My reflux was post op. Went to the ER with chest pain. Embarrassing to find out it was only a little gas and reflx. Had a upper GI to confirm my diagnosis.

They will not confirm that the surgery brought it on, but on the other hand....no problems until afterwards. So.....???

Anyway, they do mess around pretty close to that area.... breathing tubes, chest tubes, TEE's, etc. It's no wonder.
My recent conern is when I have not eaten....the acid really backs up:mad: I went off of the Prilosec because it got better. It's looking more and more like I will have to start taking it again.

Hi Marybeth-

Meds can sometimes cause these kinds of symptoms, to name a few Digoxin, Paxil, iron.

Joe's been battling this for quite some time. Iron was a major contributor, doc checked his Digox levels, they were OK.

He's off iron for a while and feels some better. I can't remember if Wayne is on iron, but no one should stop w/o docs approval.

Antacids mess with INR

Antacids mess with INR

If you are on Coumadin and do any antacids for indigestion symptoms, beware that they will counteract Coumadin if you take the antacid within a two hour window before or after you take your Coumadin.

Learned that from my Coumadin clinic nurse and thought I'd pass it along.

Hi all....wrote a reply, and then got kicked off.

Thanks to all of you for the info. Wayne does take coumaden, Perry, so I will pass the info along. Does Prilosec and tgamet could as antacids? His digixin level is low, recently tested. He stopped taking iron about two weeks ago. Still anemic, but the iron level was fine. Of course, he has had the bleeding since then.....

We will see how he fares over the enxt couple of weeks. Thank you to all.

Marybeth

Latest posts

Back