aches and pains

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SB42

I have been feeling great with little pain leading, even when I coughted, up to week 5 post-op this past Wed. I then got a little nose drip, that was effecting my eye - thought maybe sinus infection...thankfully not....had my first follow up with cardiologist on Friday...EKG came back good, but heart racing a little probably due to cold like symptoms I am experiencing. Had blood work done to rule out bacteria since I have tissue valve. The doctor attributed the soreness to probably my cold-like virus...I get it, but just frustrating when I was doing so well. Keeping good attitude about it, but looking for some input.

short story long...I know I am only 5 weeks post-op, but should I expect the on and off soreness throughout the healing process instead of just constant improvement? What have others experienced through healing and length of time (I know it varies per person for a variety of reasons) the soreness spouts seemed to finally go away?

Thanks,

Scott

Hello Scott,

I'm located nearby in Maryland just north of DC. Because of the recent warm weather we have been experiencing, pollen is unusually high and the nose drip and eye symptoms could very well be allergy symptoms. I have allergy to some pollens, and I have been experiencing some similar symptoms as well.

As for other soreness, it depends on what you have been doing. After a few weeks home, I did a bit of yard cleaning. I only squatted down to pick up branches or pull weeds about a dozen times. Nevertheless, my leg muscles were sore for days afterwards. You just don't realize how much your muscles may have atrophied during the weeks of bed-rest in the hospital. Once you get active, even though you might think you are taking it very easy, your muscles will let you know that you are using them again, and you may experience muscle soreness from what used to be normal activity.

After a few weeks of rehab/exercising you should get your strength back and the muscle soreness will be behind you.

Thanks, NM...you are like the fourth or fifth person I have met within the DC/No.VA area. I am sure manymore..We need to create a DC Metro OHS post-op group for get togethers, etc.

Various aches, pains from the operation site should slowly go away within the first year. Everyone is different. There is a possibility that intermittent aches and pains can continue for a lifetime, again everyone is different but in general after the first year it should subside.

Just for thought, I get this uncomfortable feeling on both of my heels usually when getting on my knees for something when I have to stretch my heels. Almost like the skin is slightly irritated or something, like a burn or if the skin is too tight. Never had this feeling before surgery, it immediately started in the hospital and slowly has improved in the past 7 months since the surgery. The sensation is very light now but still there. WEIRD.

Point is, you may be feeling a boatload of weird things, some temporary some permanent.

KINDA REMINDS ME OF "SEARCHING FOR LOVE" MOST PEOPLE FIND IT WHEN THEY ARE NOT LOOKING FOR IT, LIKEWISE WITH RECOVERY AFTER SURGERY I WAS LOOKING FOR IMPROVEMENT EVERYDAY AND WHEN IT DIDN'T COME I FELT DOWN, WHEN YOU JUST LET IT TAKE ITS COURSE IT MAKES IT EASIER ON THE MIND.

I still get aches and pains in the sternum from time to time, and those often seem to coincide with the weather. The only thing definitive I can say is that this happens less often over time -- I shifted from having some chest pain often in the first few months, to sometimes around six months, to seldom by a year out. And the intensity of the pain lessened over time, too. As Julian says, everyone is different. I know from my past experience that my pain from broken bones and scar tissue lasts a long time. I just look at that as a reminder of the magic that the doctors pulled off in the surgery, since I do have a long time to be annoyed by pain.

5 weeks after surgery I seemed to suddenly get intense pain in back,chest, and ribs. That lasted with same intensity for about 10 days. Worst pain I experienced in my life. Any pain experienced in the previous five weeks was nothing in comparison. That was about 2 months ago, i experieced same pain but much less this week once and last week twice. So its diminishing.

Seems to start in back ribs, then center chest, then even side ribs. Any type of movement or pressure hurts.

It surprised me, because first five weeks were great. I did have frequent experiences of muscle relaxation problems presurgery. So I imagine it was that combined with non-use of muscles for so long that led to the sudden pain occurring. That's my doctors explanation anyway.

very helpful everyone...thanks for your input...in my case, add in a little cold to contribute to the soreness (hopefully)....

@Julian - spot on...just put in the hands of the good Lord and let the healing take its course!

I still get aches and pains in the sternum from time to time, and those often seem to coincide with the weather. The only thing definitive I can say is that this happens less often over time -- I shifted from having some chest pain often in the first few months, to sometimes around six months, to seldom by a year out. And the intensity of the pain lessened over time, too. As Julian says, everyone is different. I know from my past experience that my pain from broken bones and scar tissue lasts a long time. I just look at that as a reminder of the magic that the doctors pulled off in the surgery, since I do have a long time to be annoyed by pain.

The weather in fact plays havoc in the area my sternum used to be and a flap is now seems i am really sensitive to air pressure changes so with all the HIGH and LOW weather fronts rolling around it suicks LOL

Yesterday was my 6 weeks post-op. Good news...my cold/fever symptoms are finally healing (temperature getting back to normal with minimal use of Tylenol) and bacterial infection ruled out...feeling much better...had echocardiogram this week and my tissue valve per my cardiologist is "working well!!!!" Prior EKG did show mild hardening of the heart due to previous stenosis, but will not get worse with new valve - whew!

Does anyone know if that mild hardening can improve over time with effective valve? I have a message out to my cardiologist, but thought I would ask anyway.

SB42, can you elaborate more on you last sentence, never heard this before but still learning.

I hope you heal like myself, if so your half way there. At 3 months I did not feel much pain at all except left shoulder.
At 4 months and after cortisone shot, chiropractic treatments and a deep tissue massage I can't tell ya how great I feel. I can now put my full body weight on my chest , and feel no pain what so ever. At 3 months I could feel aches from full body weight. I say this because I do my own maintenance on my boat, it has 2 large diesel motors in it and I can now do any work I need to do. Engine rooms are not always ergonomic friendly.
I did have many concerns early on, like most after OHS and like others have said, it will pass , I was fortunate to not catch a cold or flu either until later on. Once ya get strength back make sure to keep up the exercise routine, I credit my recovery by being diligent.
Brad

Hi Brad,

My cariologist told me that my most recent EKG showed mild hardening of the heart due to my prior stenosis, which shouldn't get worse now that my tissue valve is working well and that could/should heal itself 1-3 months hopefully. I just need her to explain in more detail. Wasn't sure if others heard of that or were told that. I agree, I am a week and a half from cardio rehab and I can't wait to get back into a gym routine.

Thanks,

Scott

Fundy, I had the same thing, I was told it was Dressler's syndrome. I had it a few times in the year after my surgery and now I have it no longer. It started at the bottom of my ribs, moved to my collar bone, then into my back. Most doctors don't know anything about this, I was in the ER three times until someone figured it out. They put me on predinisone the first time, it may or may not have helped and the side effects weren't worth it. The second time they put my on strong narcotics, didn't help. The best thing was Ibuprofen. The next time you have the feeling start in your ribs and your doctors say its okay to take ibuprofen take 800 mg, it should stop it in its tracks.

As far as normal pain from healing I had them on and off in my chest muscles for about 4 months, ice packs were great.

Thanks Michele I'll give 800 mg a try, I had taken 200 and sometimes 400mg along with tylenol and dilaudid back when it initially started and was very intense, almost unbearable at times, that combination didn't seem much help. It seems to last about 18 hours or so now then goes away for about 4 or five days.

Did taking the 800mg ibuprofren just once seem enough for you each time?

Did the Dressler diagnosis show up via a chest x-ray or CT scan? Hopefully the 800mg works next time, it'd be great to finally be able to control the pain from it, although hopefully it just stops sometime soon.

Latest posts

Back