A whine about wine...try not to judge!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyChicken

Hello, forgive my ignorance as I am still digesting the very idea of having to rely on a mechanical valve. Didn't even know my ticker had an issue until four years ago. Anyway, my question is this: Will I need to forever say goodbye to the feeling of total inebriation? I just got used to the idea of having to struggle to find a job due to the loud ticking noise that will soon be coming from my chest, and then a friend asks me if I'll be able to drink. My husband and I go on 2-3 Caribbean vacations a year and I won't lie, I drink like a fish when we go. Other than vacations and special occasions, I'm not a big drinker. Maybe a glass of red a few times a month, but this vacation thing kinda blows. Any words of encouragement? Any "hey, I've learned that vacations are more rewarding without booze!" type of people out there who can lift my spirits?

Getting blotto is a bad idea and since I was in my twenties I've learned that the next day isn't worth it.
These days I tend to have about a glass a night, maybe two.
I was just in Prague was drinking a fair bit more than usual, about 1 or 2L of beer most nights.

My INR was up from 2.8 to 3.5 after a week of that.

:)

​​​​​ P.S. Blotto means so drunk you don't remember anything.

Mechanical valve and on warfarin. Don't let the wowsers push you around.
Drink in moderation. My self it was a good few years after surgery that my heart rate was not effected by alcohol. Even a year out from surgery more than three glasses would see my heart rate go up to 120
This is only me, I haven't heard of others having that. but what I'm saying is that you may not feel like it either.

Haha, I was like "blotto? What the...". Thank you for your response!! I think I just needed to read that a few drinks wouldn't kill me on the spot. Wasn't sure if it was a blood pressure thing (which mine is usually quite low) or a blood clotting thing with the new valve. I've learned not to consult Dr Google and actually chat with people who are living it lol.

I guess I would advise against any grown - up (okay, any person, I certainly don't mean to say it's okay for kids) getting "totally inebriated". But a few tasty beverages won't hurt. Getting falling down drunk is never a good idea. I've been on Warfarin since just prior to my 18th. I've had a more than a few beverages over the years with no real issues.

Why would a mechanical valve cause you to struggle to find a job? Unless you work in a field that calls for total silence including no ticking wrist watches - you shouldn't have any issues. Or if you're a model and the scar will create too many photo shop issues to be worth it. Most people won't notice it unless it calls for time in a totally silent, closed room. Even then, you will have to point it out unless they already know.

I can count on one hand the number of times I was asked, unsolicited, about my ticking. Once was a girl in college after a test asked if I was wearing a really loud watch. I had a prof give me a funny look when I was going over something in the text after class. I'm 6' 4" which put his ear about prime listing position. Okay - that sounds a little weird. Didn't have to be super close to hear it. Asked if I had a pacemaker.

I fully understand the way you feel, LadyChicken, but I think you are blowing things WAY out of proportion. I don't need surgery yet, but with the diagnosis, I do feel sometimes less strong or somehow a victim or whatnot, but it's improving a lot now. It's the same as when I was diagnosed with diabetes. A mechanical valve will not prevent you from getting a job, no matter how much ticking there is. If you get asked, just say you are the crocodile that ate Hook's arm. As for the drinking, I don't drink, but it seems to me that you really pushing that issue too far. No, you should not be drinking too much; it could be dangerous. If you can't stop at 1 or 2 drinks, you have a problem with alcohol. You need to decide what is actually important to you. If not becoming wasted is a deal breaker, your priorities are out of whack. Vacations are about spending time with your spouse or family or friends. You can have a lot of fun without drinking. The fact that you CAN GO TO 2 or 3 CARIBBEAN VACATIONS A YEAR makes you LUCKIER than you think. Most people struggle to get 3 weeks off a year, including sick time. Stop whining about not being able to get drunk on a vacation and realize you have a lot more to do than that.

Thank you for the reading, pellicle!

Superman, I think perhaps the job thing is all in my head and placed there by my very blunt brother (who happens to be an HR manager). He mentioned how hiring someone with a very noticeable heart condition may or may not be a turn off. So I suppose my mind went right to the clicking of a very new valve. I read a few different posts that said it could take up to a year for it to quiet some. Was this the case for you or has it always sounded the same? You definitely make me feel much better about the sound factor. I know it's so minor in the bigger picture, but I still like reading that it's not that bad. I think I had the impression that it could be heard by the person sitting next to me in a theater lol. Really appreciate you taking the time to respond:)

NDNMD, I won't lie, I was pretty darn hesitant to post my whine about wine in fear of someone commenting just how you have lol. That being said, I respect that everyone is different. My very conservative mother would also agree that having more than a glass or two of wine once in awhile makes one an alcoholic. I do apologize for somehow giving you the impression that limiting alcohol was a deal breaker, as in "wine or life? The hell with life!!", really not sure how I implied that but fair enough lol. Anyway, thank you so much for being so kind and caring to me during this overload of new information and change that's coming my way!

LadyChicken;n875397 said:
Thank you for the reading, pellicle!

Superman, I think perhaps the job thing is all in my head and placed there by my very blunt brother (who happens to be an HR manager). He mentioned how hiring someone with a very noticeable heart condition may or may not be a turn off. So I suppose my mind went right to the clicking of a very new valve. I read a few different posts that said it could take up to a year for it to quiet some. Was this the case for you or has it always sounded the same? You definitely make me feel much better about the sound factor. I know it's so minor in the bigger picture, but I still like reading that it's not that bad. I think I had the impression that it could be heard by the person sitting next to me in a theater lol. Really appreciate you taking the time to respond:)

NDNMD, I won't lie, I was pretty darn hesitant to post my whine about wine in fear of someone commenting just how you have lol. That being said, I respect that everyone is different. My very conservative mother would also agree that having more than a glass or two of wine once in awhile makes one an alcoholic. I do apologize for somehow giving you the impression that limiting alcohol was a deal breaker, as in "wine or life? The hell with life!!", really not sure how I implied that but fair enough lol. Anyway, thank you so much for being so kind and caring to me during this overload of new information and change that's coming my way!

I only was harsh to show the reality that you have a LOT going good for you still. I don't think having more than a glass or two makes you an alcoholic; but I do believe that thinking that you cannot have a great vacation without drinking more than 1 or 2 is going to make it that you cannot enjoy any vacation. It's ok to lament a little, but focus on the bigger picture that you can go on 3 vacations a year. That's how I get through my complications. I have a lot of things people may be jealous of. I also have a lot of challenges. I rise above those challenges and appreciate what I have more.

Just accept that you've lost something, that that sucks, and "tough up". One good thing -- it means you can tell everyone else to "tough up" too, and be just as callous with them as you have to be with yourself. In time, you will learn to derive a perverse sort of pleasure from that.

Oh, wait -- is that cynical and bitter?

How old are you? Seriously, I'd worry more about years of life lost than the loss of your ability to get plastered. I mean I'd give up alcohol altogether if it meant I could just have a normal life expectancy. I've already had to give up so much food...

But see, that's it. Now I can look down my nose at everyone who so much as looks at a potato chip. After a while, you get this twisted sort of pleasure from it. Like that miserable old grouch whose only pleasure is ruining the pleasure of other people.

Hey, God did this to you, right? People want to bitch about it, they can blame HIM!

I'm not really serious about any of this, Playing the fool for this post.

(Edit -- except for the part about giving up alcohol in exchange for a normal life expectancy. I'd totally go for that deal.)

The Booze has been around for quite a few years, not to mention other forms of relaxation/escapism or whatever you call it in your sphere...might be a reason for that? My .02? If your behaviour is ok, who cares what you decide to ingest, barring self harm of course...if it ain't deal with the behaviour. Suggesting someone has a problem if they go beyond 1-2 drinks is ri-donk-u-lous....I should just leave it there I suppose. Oh wait, you really didn't mean it? ummm, ok then, carry on.

"(Edit -- except for the part about giving up alcohol in exchange for a normal life expectancy. I'd totally go for that deal.)"

Really?! I have to give up my delicious glasses of red wine! I am cancelling my surgery. Seriously, I didn't think it was necessary to give up the pleasure of red wine (or whatever) as long as I don't fall down drunk and cut myself and then bleed to death.
Bonbet

Bonbet;n875476 said:
... as long as I don't fall down drunk and cut myself and then bleed to death.
Bonbet
Fall down drunk, smash your head and have an IC bleed is probably the biggest issue.

Old Australian joke:
What's the best way to hold your liquor?

By the ears...

Latest posts

Back